Vung Tau

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
aroimakmak
Tourist
Argentina

Re: Vung Tau

Post by aroimakmak »

Can you live in Vung Tau and enjoy a decent bit of privacy? Ideally I'd like to find an unserviced private apartment that doesn't have someone watching the door all the time. Saigon was a place I enjoyed in the past, but the level of surveillance you'd be under in your own home was overkill.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

aroimakmak wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:26 pm Can you live in Vung Tau and enjoy a decent bit of privacy? Ideally I'd like to find an unserviced private apartment that doesn't have someone watching the door all the time. Saigon was a place I enjoyed in the past, but the level of surveillance you'd be under in your own home was overkill.
There's a wide range of available accommodation in VT aka Geezerville. You may be able to find a floor in a house with a private entrance to rent or just rent the whole house but that can be less secure and you'll likely be in a crowded hẻm (soi/alley) with plenty of neighbors.

Most people live in a residence/hotel or condominium that usually have one entrance with at least one security guard, so yes, your entry/exits are noticed. Your biggest concern will be finding a place that is quiet, especially on weekends.

There's plenty of info about rental accommodation on the internet that you can use just as a reference (i.e. no need/not advisable to agree to anything before arriving), for example:

https://www.facebook.com/Vungtauhomes/

http://www.vungtaurental.com

These FB pages also have frequent ads for rentals:

Expats in Vung Tau (Vietnam)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/217363251682990/

Expats in Vung Tau
https://www.facebook.com/groups/169934546759523/

Vung Tau Expats
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1742678672700143/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

Do not even think about Vung Tau for nightlife. The bar owners live in the past when the oil rigs were sending their workers to town with their pockets full of dollars.

Thats the problem. The oil rush is over!!! Now its pensioners!!!

The reality of a changing market lost on many bar owners. I guess the odd holiday 2 week millionaire may be their target but they are few and far between.

If you want to enjoy female company in Vung Tau you better have won lotto!!!!!
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

paparazzi wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:35 pm Do not even think about Vung Tau for nightlife. The bar owners live in the past when the oil rigs were sending their workers to town with their pockets full of dollars.

The reality of a changing market lost on many bar owners. I guess the odd holiday 2 week millionaire may be their target but they are few and far between.

Just marry a bargirl and have a couple of kids. You'll save heaps of dosh and have no more lonely nights.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

One thing you learn quickly when in a relationship with a Vietnamese girl is they all have a 'list'. They are very very manipulative and work away at ticking off the items on the 'list' as you complete them. In any order:
A new motorbike ( Honda)
A new phone
English school for them and their kids ( usually fathered by a Vietnamese man )
A Wedding.
A house
A holiday away with extended family. ( You pay)....................etc.

So there you have it. Vung Tau not an option for short term or long term with girl - unless you have deep pockets and don't mind going broke quickly.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

Add to the list:

Take the girl and her children by other man (men) to your homecountry to live. Then give them half of your assets after the divorce.
Trapsuperstar
BANNED
Iran

Post by Trapsuperstar »

paparazzi wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:35 pm Do not even think about Vung Tau for nightlife. The bar owners live in the past when the oil rigs were sending their workers to town with their pockets full of dollars.

Same like sukhumvit RD, A pizza on BKK is now 30 $ AUD,.

south east asia is a giant ripoff man.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

paparazzi wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:41 pm Take the girl and her children by other man (men) to your homecountry to live. Then give them half of your assets after the divorce.
So, in other words the same as girls from: Thailand, Cambodia, Laos...
You could be next.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

A friend gave his older GF (50+) 20 million VND the first month. It was all gone in 2 weeks -- around 5-7 times the average monthly salary. And she had the gall to ask for more He allowed it for one more month. But the money and goods requests didn't end. He liked her but dumped her. Yet, she came back, uninvited, and asked to stay and asked for more money. He said no bloody way. Viet girls have absolutely no shame after ripping you off. The latter statement includes info from other related tales of shameless badgering.

A girl at Red Parrot told another friend she wanted 4 million to go with him. He's not an old codger. In fact, he's a very decent looking, youngish guy. She would not budge, still living in the Oil and Gas Age. Once he figuratively picked himself off the floor, he declined. And she never spoke to him or even acknowledged him again.

After my nearly 2 years in VN, with some gaps, I won't have anything to do with them. Or Vietnam.
So, in other words the same as girls from: Thailand, Cambodia, Laos...
I would have agreed with that a couple of years ago but Viet girls are a whole other level of mercenary.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

paparazzi wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:41 pm Add to the list:

Take the girl and her children by other man (men) to your homecountry to live. Then give them half of your assets after the divorce.

My maths ain't so good, but how can you give her half if you have to pay the lawyer half.

Do three half's really make a hole?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic