A love story in song

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

A love story in song

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The Arome Khmer duo, who grew out of a love story. Supplied

Scott Bywater
August 16, 2019

“The Khmer people like us because Sreytouch sings very similar to the old singers.”

Things have changed. When I first moved to Cambodia this week 11 years ago, knowing even less than the little I know now, I found it hard to find live music – when I did it was predominantly western. These days it’s not so difficult (see www.lengpleng.com), and there are a growing number of acts that play Cambodian music – particularly of the Golden Era in the 1960s – frequently with barangs contributing a certain western sensibility.

Sreytouch was born in Takeo, but has lived in Phnom Penh for the last ten years. Michel, born and raised in Paris, first came to Cambodia in 2008 and quickly fell in love with the country and its people. They both love the old Golden Era Cambodian music. “I like the old songs, Ros Sereysothea, Pen Ron,” explains Sreytouch. “They never die, their voices never die. Even the new generation, they still listen. But the new songs, after just one year they are forgotten.”

Arome Khmer grew out of a love story. “After we got married, in 2014, and we were living together, I found out – oh, she sings very well”, says guitar player Michel Arich. “I learned one Khmer song to play with her, and then more and more.” “I always liked to sing,” says singer Eav Sreytouch. “When he heard me sing he said he would like to learn to play Khmer songs.”

Full https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50634161/a ... y-in-song/