The Kampot real estate boom

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: The Kampot real estate boom

Post by frank lee bent »

Are you aware of current real estate prices in Kampot?

I am not keen on operating a bar/resto in Kampot.

The fact that Max, who has a successful and popular business is getting out tells me all I need to know about the future of Kampot.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

^

To be fair, he's spent most of the past 6 months working in his other restaurant.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Just been back to the Pot.
Max’s was shut for three weeks and has only just opened. Meanwhile the old building next door on the corner (Rusty Keyhole?) has been refurbished and looks great.

I’ve been to Max’s twice for pizza. It’s quite impressive watching the guy/girl make the pizza. However, it took so long and the finished article was pretty lame (maybe that’s what proper Italian pizzas look like. I dunno) and was average at best.

Brass Monkey on the other hand next door. Great food!

It’s strange a lot of these hole in the wall places never seem to come and say hello to customers and do the whole F&B owner thing, like they do in most countries.
Never met “Max” or the owner of Brass Monkey even though I’ve eaten there at least 20 times. No idea what he looks like.

No wonder people struggle.

I hear Funky Durian is closing and have been past the old Walkabout (there’s also a new Walkabout) and it was shut. Not sure why they bought a flood prone business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Stuart owns brass monkey, little short guy. Been in hospital recently so maybe not around. Food there is great value, nice family.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Nice dog too!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

angsta
Expatriate
Congo

Post by angsta »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:45 am Stuart owns brass monkey, little short guy. Been in hospital recently so maybe not around. Food there is great value, nice family.
Best English breakfast in Cambodia, probably.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:51 am Are you aware of current real estate prices in Kampot?

I am not keen on operating a bar/resto in Kampot.

The fact that Max, who has a successful and popular business is getting out tells me all I need to know about the future of Kampot.
Max also has started a guesthouse and I believe he is also the owner of Spaghetti House next to Cafe Expresso

The refurb building next to him is asking for horrendous rent.

Not sure how smart he is using Kampot Chara to sell the business for 45k - she is inept and known for overpricing
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

whatwat wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:15 am Just been back to the Pot.
Max’s was shut for three weeks and has only just opened. Meanwhile the old building next door on the corner (Rusty Keyhole?) has been refurbished and looks great.

He was on holiday in Italy and the refurb next door was a turnoff for customers

I’ve been to Max’s twice for pizza. It’s quite impressive watching the guy/girl make the pizza. However, it took so long and the finished article was pretty lame (maybe that’s what proper Italian pizzas look like. I dunno) and was average at best.

I agree - used to be my fave but the quantity of toppings declined as the price went up. Still have Osteria, Divino, Amandos and Entrecot as good alternatives

Brass Monkey on the other hand next door. Great food!

Great Sunday roast and I hear the full English is spot on

It’s strange a lot of these hole in the wall places never seem to come and say hello to customers and do the whole F&B owner thing, like they do in most countries.
Never met “Max” or the owner of Brass Monkey even though I’ve eaten there at least 20 times. No idea what he looks like.

No wonder people struggle.

Max is usually very friendly but he is/was very busy and also did the deliveries - when Spaghetti House opened he was there a lot.

I hear Funky Durian is closing and have been past the old Walkabout (there’s also a new Walkabout) and it was shut. Not sure why they bought a flood prone business.

Doubt FD is closing - just recently opened and he is doing a good job publicising it and getting a few regulars now. The old Walkabout owner bought it for 12k and 3 months later put it up for sale for 50k. The new entity, Raging Bull Sports bar, is doing OK mainly with Ozzie expats and visitors and some pretty OK food. We are mainly talking the wife beater patrons tho. Closed for 4 days after the recent rains due to flooding - the Walkabout guy advertised that he had paid to fix the flooding - lol - u needed a boat to get there. Rumour is the RB guys bought it for 12k

whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Yes sorry. I meant the Raging place not Funky. I was told by my TukTuk driver that they sacked all staff and even barang guy who did the BBQ but I thought he was one of the owners?
Just been to Pot again (via Vietnam) and that whole road to 33 was flooded. Texas BBQ shut as well. Shame.

Rents are outrageous. Two beds near Durian
/Market (1km) $400+! and anywhere in the main town from new bridge road to market and down 33 (the back road behind Suzuki) to Roastery (and beyond down Kep road to Amazon) down to Lotus Pond for a two bed shophouse/house $500/$800!

We are looking to village International. Flooded and muddy but we have 4x4 so don’t mind but it’s so far out.

Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Sale prices for land on the river is higher than Phuket prices
looking at the pics on fb of homes for rent its really true,
no value in Kampot
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic