Where would you go if you were denied entry?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Re: Where would you go if you were denied entry?

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

home
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

OK, but why are you happy there?
Your profile says you're in Naypyidaw, Myanmar.
How is/was that? Were you or were you not happy in Myanmar?
Sorry - need to update my profile for my location.

Naypyitaw was very clean, safe, fresh food, many cycle paths. In the 3 years that I was teaching there I got my fitness sorted out, because basically there was nothing else to do... That suited me fine because I wanted to be sorted health and fitness-wise by the time I hit 60 years old. I cycled and jogged every day and went from a 100 metre 'crawler' to the fastest registered 10,000 metre runner in the country for my age group.

But I wanted to teach online, as opposed to a bricks and mortar teaching job. The mobile internet in Myanmar is fast, but the international internet gateway is a bottleneck...

Previously, I was briefly the headmaster of the international school in Luang Prabang. I like LP and that's why I returned to live here. The internet and internet gateway is very fast now, the local food is healthy and cheap, there are plenty of available women if I want that, (safest are non-Lao of course). The new railway will bring many more tourists into the town, but unlike Sihoukville, the town centre is UNESCO protected and it hasn't changed in yonks. It's quiet, safe for jogging, close to mountains and rivers and waterfalls. I live in this old town. The one-year visa is cheap and easy to get and unlike Thailand, I can do my online teaching and local community volunteer teaching without worried of being arrested. No 90 day reporting, no xenophobia. I am also able to do my scientific development work (in a previous long career I designed and constructed space and satellite equipment), and provide this knowledge to local students/universities.

On the downside, the healthcare is crap, but there is a strong rumour that the Chinese will build a new,. modern hospital - their current one is rather basic.
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

I live in Laos as well (Vientiane) and would agree with simon43. Whilst I would accept the criticism of it being boring here, it is boring here but I have reached a stage in life where I don't want any more 'excitement' or 'temptation', I have found it to be the easiest (or best) place to live in se asia regarding work visas, accommodation, traffic, pollution, noise and attitude of the locals. It's peaceful here and easy to forge a healthy, if a little humdrum, lifestyle.

:thumb:
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I had ruled Malaysia off my list because - short of doing a visa run every three months - the MM2H programme is out of my league... or so I thought.

It turns out that because Sarawak has a certain amount of autonomy, they can set their own rules, so it's *either* the $2500 monthly income or $25,000 fixed deposit requirement. And what's more, when you get it you are free to live anywhere in Malaysia. Main downside is it's only valid for five years as opposed to 10, but I don't see that as a big impediment. You need to have a local (Sarawakian) sponsor, but there are four agents listed for Sarawak and the first one I bothered to click on offers sponsorship, so that shouldn't be hard.

Anyway there is a thread about it here https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=761316
and a FB page here https://www.facebook.com/Sarawak-My-Sec ... 3571551468

Just need to find a place in Malaysia which isn't completely characterless and soulless.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
bob.fortin
BANNED

Post by bob.fortin »

That’s all of Malaysia. Characterless and soulless and Muslim.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic