Visa run to Thailand to change T visa to E visa, plus Cambodian bank account

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
MarkVNCB
Tourist
Great Britain

Re: Visa run to Thailand to change T visa to E visa, plus Cambodian bank account

Post by MarkVNCB »

Thank you for your input, Anapol.

Everyone I’ve spoken to, from the immigration officer who kicked me out of Vietnam (who was uncharacteristically helpful for a VN immigration officer), to travel agents – they’ve all pulled pained expressions when I’ve shared my plans to do things via land border crossings. I can see what they’re thinking - you poor bastard – is a land border crossing the best you can come up with?

I guess it works for the greater majority else people wouldn’t suggest, or do it, but I can’t afford to screw up again. So, I’ve dismissed land borders – I’m flying.

So where to fly to? The obvious choice seemed to be Thailand, but some good sources (I believe them to be good) are saying that’s not the best way. Even though I have a strong passport, British, we don’t appear to be that welcome in Thailand. Apparently, too many brits arrive and just melt into the jungle, never to be heard from again. And the fact we need to show a minimum of $650 in cash on arrival, suggests a lack of confidence.

Kuala Lumpur seems to be the safest bet, albeit not the cheapest option. As above, I can’t afford to screw up again – I need to get this right.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Visa run to Thailand to change T visa to E visa, plus Cambodian bank account

Post by timmydownawell »

MarkVNCB wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:54 am
Kuala Lumpur seems to be the safest bet, albeit not the cheapest option. As above, I can’t afford to screw up again – I need to get this right.
Can get an AirAsia return flight to KL for under $60, although probably not at short notice. I've done a same day visa run that way.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:05 am
Can get an AirAsia return flight to KL for under $60, although probably not at short notice. I've done a same day visa run that way.
If you want to do the trip on one day your typically need a morning flight out, and an afternoon / evening flight in. Those are the most expensive.

If I were you I would take the evening flight to Don Muang (usually very cheap), spend the night in cheap guesthouse close to the airport, and take the first flight back in the morning (usually the cheapest too). You could try the same for KUL. I don't think you will find a 60 USD return ticket with morning out, evening in.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:31 am
If you want to do the trip on one day your typically need a morning flight out, and an afternoon / evening flight in. Those are the most expensive.

If I were you I would take the evening flight to Don Muang (usually very cheap), spend the night in cheap guesthouse close to the airport, and take the first flight back in the morning (usually the cheapest too). You could try the same for KUL. I don't think you will find a 60 USD return ticket with morning out, evening in.
Well I did, I flew to KL in the morning, spent about four hours at KLIA2 then flew back for - I think - $54. But you have to book early and catch promo fares of course. There was an earlier return flight but with having to enter Malaysia and exit again (passport control/customs/security) it was better to allow plenty of time to allow for possible delays.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:58 am
Kammekor wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:31 am

Well I did, I flew to KL in the morning, spent about four hours at KLIA2 then flew back for - I think - $54. But you have to book early and catch promo fares of course. There was an earlier return flight but with having to enter Malaysia and exit again (passport control/customs/security) it was better to allow plenty of time to allow for possible delays.
For the next two weeks those tickets will cost you 180-210 USD. An overnight can be had for 80. OP is not in the position to wait for a promo in January.

<edited for typo>
AnaPol
Tourist
Afghanistan

Post by AnaPol »

Timmy; booking FAR in advance, ( ie 2-3 months) can get you great deals. But, as OP is flying very soon, your experience is not very valid

You want do it cheap? Bus to Siem Rep, shared taxi to the O'smach border crossing, free 30 day visa exempt entrance to Thailand, bus to Surin, great hotels for less than $20, Meals $2-5
Head back to border next morning. Apply for the ordinary E visa ( $35) no ripoffs or extra charges

From Phnom Penh, the whole trip, including your visa fee, will be around $125

O'smach is the easiest border crossing and no worries at all.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

AnaPol wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:30 am Timmy; booking FAR in advance, ( ie 2-3 months) can get you great deals. But, as OP is flying very soon, your experience is not very valid
Well I did say "probably not at short notice" but just offered the suggestion for the OP to check out/do his own research.

Just a quick look, on the 26th August can fly to KL for $51.50 and back for $43.70. Total $95.20
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:02 pm
AnaPol wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:30 am Timmy; booking FAR in advance, ( ie 2-3 months) can get you great deals. But, as OP is flying very soon, your experience is not very valid
Well I did say "probably not at short notice" but just offered the suggestion for the OP to check out/do his own research.

Just a quick look, on the 26th August can fly to KL for $51.50 and back for $43.70. Total $95.20
Which website do you use to see bargains like that?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:02 pm

Which website do you use to see bargains like that?
AirAsia app, need to book 2 x one way trips to do it same day, though. Probably same on airasia.com
MarkVNCB
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by MarkVNCB »

Thank you for your input, everyone.

There may be another option, but I don’t know if it will work. My main objective is to get back to Vietnam, but if I can’t do this, I need a base in Cambodia, and that means I’ll need the 6-month EG visa so I can open a bank account here in Cambodia.

So I'm thinking - I get a one-way ticket, either bus or flight, from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh.

Firstly, the flight option: I don’t suppose they’ll be any issues until I arrive in HCMC and by this time I will have already exited Cambodia. Two ways this can go – 1) Vietnam allows me to enter or 2) Vietnam refuses entry. With #1 I’m home and dry, but what happens with #2? Will they allow me to buy a ticket at HCMC airport back to PP or might they say you have to return to your home country, the UK, or might they say something else… anything but back to PP would be a nightmare. If they allow me to fly back to PP, I’ll attempt to get a 30-day E visa at PP airport.

But how does it look to Cambodian immigration at PP airport when I ask for the 30-day E visa, given I’ve just be refused entry to Vietnam… I’m concerned I’d look a bit undesirable.

The second option by bus: an important part is that I get my exit visa from Cambodia on the Cambodian side. I then cross no mans land to Vietnam immigration. Again, they either allow me to enter or refuse. If they refuse, can I just walk back across no mans land to Cambodian immigration and try for the 30-day E visa… If I can, I’d need to get a bus from the Cambodian border side back to PP. I don’t know if there are any running, although I guess there are.

This would kind of kill two birds with one stone – I find out if I can get back to Vietnam, and if not, I re-enter Cambodia with a 30-day E visa – if it all works, of course.

Thanks,

Mark
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic