I found $10,000 in ACLEDA Bank Certificates of Deposit hidden in my apartment

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bedazzler!
Expatriate

I found $10,000 in ACLEDA Bank Certificates of Deposit hidden in my apartment

Post by Bedazzler! »

Please bear with me I have never posted on a website like this for advice before.

I've been living in this apartment in Phnom Penh for almost eight months and today I noticed there was a manila envelope stuffed in the very small space between the wardrobe and wall. I opened it up and inside are two official looking $5,000 certificates of deposit from ACLEDA Bank, on thick, fancy embossed paper.

They have the name and account number of the person who made the deposit. It's a Khmer name and when I searched it on Facebook it's one woman comes up who appears to be a real estate agent in Phnom Penh.

I don't know if she or someone with that name lived here before; I thought only foreigners lived in the building.

I asked the landlord and he knows nothing about her or the CDs.

What should I do with the certificates? They were issued in 2017 and bear interest and matured this year. I'd like to at least try contacting her on Facebook, but I'm wary of the language barrier and that if I ask her "Are these your CDs" she might say "yes" even if she's not the right person.

Could the true owner have just gotten replacements at ACLEDA or is it essential that the owner gets the original certificates back?

What should I do?

Thanks for your advice.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I found $10,000 in ACLEDA Bank Certificates of Deposit hidden in my apartment

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir: Burn them
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: I found $10,000 in ACLEDA Bank Certificates of Deposit hidden in my apartment

Post by IraHayes »

Bedazzler! wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:13 pm Please bear with me I have never posted on a website like this for advice before.

Could the true owner have just gotten replacements at ACLEDA or is it essential that the owner gets the original certificates back?
Issued in 2017? Not 1917?

A wild stab in the dark here given my severe lack of knowledge in this area BUT they were issued in 2017! At a reputable bank... come on... you really think that bit of paper is the only record of the deposit?

On a serious note though, if you could find the lady it would be a nice gesture to return them even though she has probably sorted it all out by now.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Well, if they are deposit slips they are worth nothing.

If they are some kind of bearer bond, then she may need them, but if they have her name and account number, more than likely they are not.

Burn them.
Bedazzler!
Expatriate

Post by Bedazzler! »

Damn I was hoping there would be a reward but if they are worthless I will just toss them in the garbage for the scavengers to find.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

You have to show an ID to redeem those certificates with the correct signature or thumbprint. If you look on the back of the certificate, there are conditions written in Khmer and English. I believe one of the conditions states that if those original certificates are lost, they will charge for a second copy. Those certificates are useless to anyone except the person whose name is on them or a co owner of the same account.
Bedazzler!
Expatriate

Post by Bedazzler! »

Yes I just read the terms on the back. They are in Khmer and English. It says a fee will be charged to re-issue lost or stolen certificate
peter.storm
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by peter.storm »

Bedazzler! wrote:Yes I just read the terms on the back. They are in Khmer and English. It says a fee will be charged to re-issue lost or stolen certificate
Made payable to a bank in Lagos?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Facebook;- Creating Narcissists from nobodies!!!!!!

Hornithology;- The study of featherless birds!!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Hand them in to an Acleda branch.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Jerry Atrick wrote:Well, if they are deposit slips they are worth nothing.

If they are some kind of bearer bond, then she may need them, but if they have her name and account number, more than likely they are not.

Burn them.
Exactly. They give those out for fixed date deposits, but in no way do you need them to get the funds. They're just deposited back into your main account.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic