Marriage in Cambodia. Bombshell.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Marriage in Cambodia. Bombshell.

Post by Spigzy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 am Your daughter is NOT legally married in Cambodia. She would know for sure if she were, as it is a long drawn out process which requires submitting a shit load of supporting documentation to the MoFAIC and MoI plus interviews with the MoI.

Your daughters ceremony was an unofficial wedding, with no legal bearing.

You have nothing to be concerned about.
Have to +1 this, it is extremely likely that she simply had a typical Khmer farcical ceremony where a thumbprint is needed (sometimes not) to keep the local sangkat & police folks happy. If she didn't get a million and one pieces of paper from different ministries, and didn't have to run around said ministries beforehand, I'm also 99.99% sure she's not legally married.

[edit: As you're a new poster, I should add that PSD-Kiwi is perhaps the most respected poster here on all things to do with official processes & has been here donkeys years.]
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
dude
Expatriate

Post by dude »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 am ... a long drawn out process which requires submitting a shit load of supporting documentation to the MoFAIC and MoI plus interviews with the MoI.
Only since Nov. 2008 (Sub-Decree 183-2008).
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

^ Exactly...this marriage ceremony apparently took place appx 8-10 years ago.

Back then the authorities allowed these unofficial marriage ceremonies between foreigners and locals to take place, and yes often the couple were made to thumb print a document by the Sangkat saying they were married...this document has no legal standing.

The girl is in no way legally married to a Cambodian Citizen in Cambodia! (Unless she herself is actually a Cambodian citizen, which I doubt based on the OP).

If she were legally married in Cambodia she would bloody well know, they would have received an official Cambodian marriage Certificate, she would have had to provide her passport to the authorities,etc.

The OP and her daughter have absolutely NOTHING TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT.

Even if she were legally married, how on earth would her country know about it? But she's not, so it is not an issue.
dude
Expatriate

Post by dude »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:05 pm Back then the authorities allowed these unofficial marriage ceremonies between foreigners and locals to take place, and yes often the couple were made to thumb print a document by the Sangkat saying they were married...this document has no legal standing.
Prior to 2008, if a marriage took place according to the Decree of 1989 (notwithstanding a moratorium), it would be considered lawful and valid, especially if the Khan registry "book" had been thumb printed and witnessed.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Spigzy wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:31 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 am Your daughter is NOT legally married in Cambodia. She would know for sure if she were, as it is a long drawn out process which requires submitting a shit load of supporting documentation to the MoFAIC and MoI plus interviews with the MoI.

Your daughters ceremony was an unofficial wedding, with no legal bearing.

You have nothing to be concerned about.
Have to +1 this, it is extremely likely that she simply had a typical Khmer farcical ceremony where a thumbprint is needed (sometimes not) to keep the local sangkat & police folks happy. If she didn't get a million and one pieces of paper from different ministries, and didn't have to run around said ministries beforehand, I'm also 99.99% sure she's not legally married.

[edit: As you're a new poster, I should add that PSD-Kiwi is perhaps the most respected poster here on all things to do with official processes & has been here donkeys years.]
I would also ask whether the marriage was registered at the British Embassy and a British marriage certificate issued? Unlikely, but that would be a deal-breaker????
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Fairly certain the girl in question would know if she had registered their marriage with her Embassy.

If the marriage was prior to 2008 and properly registered, then yes it would be legally recognised in Cambodia. The foreigner was still required to provide documentation such as passport, and they would have received an official Cambodian marriage Certificate.

In going to repeat myself again...the daughter would know if she were legally married. The mother and her daughter have absolutely nothing g to be worried about!!!
dude
Expatriate

Post by dude »

Yerg wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:12 pm I would also ask whether the marriage was registered at the British Embassy and a British marriage certificate issued? Unlikely, but that would be a deal-breaker????
The registration of an overseas marriage in the UK is not compulsory, but prior to 2014 and only upon request, it will be recorded with either the local Consulate, Embassy or (High) Commission, or the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Bigamy is only a crime if you get caught, anyhow. If you don't know if you're married or not then certainly nobody else knows. To get married in the Uk you just turn up at the registry office and ask for a certificate of no impediment. They ask you where you live, what job you have and if you were married before. "No I was not married before". The end. How is anyone in the UK going to know?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

as mentioned, im sure she would know if she had an official marriage and received a certificate, it was likely just a ceremony
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Malarkey
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Malarkey »

Ooh. Wow. I thought I had asked to receive notifications on this so came back expecting no replies. Sorry if the post is confusing. I will try to answer as best I can.

My daughter is British and only has a British passport. She 'married' a Cambodian national.

She has revealed this to me because the further we go down the road of planning her wedding here, there is always the issue of Bigamy raising its head.

Via social media, she still has friends out there who are also friends with the man. He was upset at the time, views it as a betrayal and may well raise problems at finding out she wants to marry here in the UK. I totally understand this. They do have a child together. This child is a British citizen.

I will speak to my daughter tomorrow and come back all facted up and I am fiercly grateful for all of your help. It means SO much x Thank you again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic