You’re invited.....

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: You’re invited.....

Post by pissontheroof »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:30 am I’m putting on free beers and pizzas and making some music with my friends because I’m moving.

That’s what this post is about.

I don’t give a shit how anyone feels about music in bars. That’s not what this post is about.
Why don’t you quick learn to play piano , and say it will be nice and relaxing piano 🎹 music ,
Nothing like jerry lee , little richard , or Elton ...

That’s what I use to put me to sleep when I’m not listening to the birds or flute versions of the relaxing sleepy music that goes on for hours on you tube ... and no singing , please ....
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Dam , I love no smoking and banjo ( mentioned above ) ... but I would never go to Phnom Penh for anything other than a whopper now ,
Back in the old days i could settle for a mikes burger , but then then they came to sihanoukville and got boring ..

Now would have to stop at Carl’s Jr. for one ,, then quickly get the F out of there or risk heart attack ...
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

Come and say goodbye (I’m moving to SR)
Hi rozzieoz, so whats the plan in SR? will you get involved in another bar?
Even the ugly ones
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

bucknaked wrote:
Come and say goodbye (I’m moving to SR)
Hi rozzieoz, so whats the plan in SR? will you get involved in another bar?
I have no plans to get involved in a bar but who knows what can happen. I’m not ruling anything out, I never dreamed I’d be single at 50 lol.

I want to explore the live music scene in Siem Reap and see if I can get involved with event and gig planning.

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The Seawolf wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:04 am
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:30 am I’m putting on free beers and pizzas and making some music with my friends because I’m moving.

That’s what this post is about.

I don’t give a shit how anyone feels about music in bars. That’s not what this post is about.
Sorry I didn't mean any offence. Just a personal opinion which holds no weight for anybody else at all :)

Maybe I just don't like real music (I like electronic music 87-94 and hip hop 80s/90s) enough to appreciate proper musicianship. I mean, I have seen Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones and left both concerts thinking well that was one big 'meh', would prefer to listen to the albums at home. Really boring events in gigantic stadiums.

I did go to a lot of gigs when I was in my early teens - The Damned, The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Conflict, Subhumans, Culture Shock, GBH, Coil, Alien Sex Fiend, The Cure, Sham 69, Stiff Little Fingers, The Exploited, The Levellers, The Pixies, Nirvana, Stone Roses, Public Enemy, The Beastie Boys and many more. But when Acid House kicked in going to 'gigs' and worshiping rock stars seemed curiously dated and twee. The kind of thing my parents did. Although I did see The Prodigy around the time they released Firestarter and it was awesome. Total mayhem.

But, yeah, I am probably just a miserable old git. I certainly wouldn't want to bounce about getting covered in other people's sweat (and spit) any more. And I guess I don't appreciate the technicalities of instrument playing to sit there and get anything out of it. And I do hate it when I am eating and the band cranks up.

Good luck though.

:thumb:
Your party is over a month away from now anything could happen between that time. "Come and say goodbye" I have never said hello up to now. Honestly, they say live life in Cambodia at a slow pace, I find it difficult to keep up with you. From the Glory Hole to the trouble's in girly bars, now a leaving party, what happened to the cruise, or am I just missing a post or two. Siem Reap sounds good, and I have not been there for many years, and was thinking of possibly the same destination for a move. This is not another new type of advertising for the music bar on the corner.
My pet hate is country music, and Irish (sorry no offence). I used to support my friends with their bands if I wasn’t expected to be roadie or driving, at the venue I could easy find a corner and a Guinness and quietly get pissed.
Anyway, early days, being still the month before the event.
The Seawolf mentioned some good bands there, missed of on of my old favourites in the Punk Goth line-up, Siouxsie and the Banshees, good live band, also Ozric Tentacles and Nodens Ictus, excellent live.
Seawolf, was it at Glastonbury where you saw the performance of The Prodigy, promotion of their album Firestarter, and I have to agree it was total mayhem with fire jugglers using active chainsaws.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

Prodigy was in Portsmouth. I also saw them do a PA at Raindance around the time of Charly, Your Love and Android.

I have seen Souxsie and the Banshees at the Kilburn National. The first gig I ever went to in fact
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I did go to a lot of gigs when I was in my early teens - The Damned, The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Conflict, Subhumans, Culture Shock, GBH, Coil, Alien Sex Fiend, The Cure, Sham 69, Stiff Little Fingers, The Exploited, The Levellers, The Pixies, Nirvana, Stone Roses, Public Enemy, The Beastie Boys and many more. But when Acid House kicked in going to 'gigs' and worshiping rock stars seemed curiously dated and twee. The kind of thing my parents did. Although I did see The Prodigy around the time they released Firestarter and it was awesome. Total mayhem.
Ha! Out of that list I saw The Damned, Culture Shock, The Pixies, Stone Roses, Public Enemy, The Beastie Boys and loads more like Butthole Surfers, Rollins Band, Bad Brains, Revolting Cocks, Ministry, The Fall, Rolf Harris etc. I got more into the free party scene after that and going to clubs/ warehouse parties/ insane parties in the middle of nowhere on an airbase etc. Way too old for that now though, I was in Siem Reap last month trying to have a drink with some friends in a pizza place, the noise from Temple Bar directly across the street was driving me nuts after a while, I don't know how anybody can work with such a racket nearby.

AndyKK wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:49 pm
My pet hate is country music, and Irish (sorry no offence).
Well - just for you pal here's some Irish Country Music. Enjoy. 8-)

Silence, exile, and cunning.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Have a good move, Roz. Siem Reap is great, so I'm sure you'll love it there too. Check out Picasso Bar, a nice little expat bar in that little alleyway I'd call Art Alley.

See you in SR next time!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:56 pm
Ha! Out of that list I saw The Damned, Culture Shock, The Pixies, Stone Roses, Public Enemy, The Beastie Boys and loads more like Butthole Surfers, Rollins Band, Bad Brains, Revolting Cocks, Ministry, The Fall, Rolf Harris etc. I got more into the free party scene after that and going to clubs/ warehouse parties/ insane parties in the middle of nowhere on an airbase etc. Way too old for that now though, I was in Siem Reap last month trying to have a drink with some friends in a pizza place, the noise from Temple Bar directly across the street was driving me nuts after a while, I don't know how anybody can work with such a racket nearby.

So Temple is still shitting all over Pub Street? Drove me out of there 3-4 years ago when I was thinking of moving to SR. Could not have a semi-quiet meal or drink or conversation with that godawful noise.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

AndyKK wrote: Your party is over a month away from now anything could happen between that time. "Come and say goodbye" I have never said hello up to now. Honestly, they say live life in Cambodia at a slow pace, I find it difficult to keep up with you. From the Glory Hole to the trouble's in girly bars, now a leaving party, what happened to the cruise, or am I just missing a post or two
My cruise is at the end of January.
The Glory Hole closed because everyone left town, and that was over two years ago.

I thought my ex could make things work downstairs at Oscar’s but it became obvious pretty early on that we had very different ideas about running that bar so I stepped aside and let him get on with it. I continue to run my CV business as I have since the day I arrived in Cambodia.

And now he and I have split up and I would like a change, so SR it is.

My post is not an advert for anything except a party that’s looking like it will be a great night.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic