Marriage in Cambodia. Bombshell.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Malarkey
Tourist
Great Britain

Marriage in Cambodia. Bombshell.

Post by Malarkey »

So here I am, a new forum member and frightened beyond belief at something my girl has just told me.
About 8 years ago, my girl came back from Cambodia. She was pregnant with our adorable grandson and I know my daughter had a really bad time out there. I have never asked the details, figuring that when she was ready, she would tell me what had gone on.

She has since met someone else and we have two other equally beautiful and wonderful grandchildren.

I am in the midst of arranging a wedding and number one daughter reveals that she had a ceremony out there. She doesn't know if the marriage is registered and neither do I but she does remember thumbprinting a document. I looked into the legalities of what was required for a wedding over there and she maintains that her passport never left her but was kept at his families house where she lived at the time.

I am hoping that, as her passport wasn't taken for any sort of verification that this may simply be a cereminy in name only.

Of course, this is a massive bolt of lightning on plans here because if she IS legally married over there, she can't get married over here in the UK!

Aside from wanting to shake her hard, I need to find out, with relative secrecy, the standing of this 'ceremony' and whether it is legal.

Initially, I guess I need to find out where in Sooky this took place so I can locate the records office concerned. I know this could be a long, legal battle but as a mum, she is my baby girl and I want her happy. And she is, bar this.

If I get those area details from her, can someone possibly get me the contact details of the local 'marriage records' office as I am going round in circles online and can't find what I need. Or steer me in a direction to help me find out?

ANY help and advice is gratefully received, however small you may think it may be.

Thank you x
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Marriage in Cambodia. Bombshell.

Post by explorer »

With the brief description, it is difficult to understand much about the situation.

I suggest, tell her to be open and honest about anything else which may affect the situation. It is better to get another surprise now, than after you have invested a lot of time into investigating.

Is she British? Was the first husband Cambodian? What nationality is the second husband?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah, your post is pretty confusing. Either way, the odds of that "wedding" being official are likely zero. I wouldn't worry too much. Most have ceremonies which are never official (thumbprint or not). Either way, how would the UK authorities know if she's been married elsewhere?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:00 am Either way, how would the UK authorities know if she's been married elsewhere?
This. Also does she have plans to go back to Cambodia? If not, who cares anyway?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Some questions.

Does she have a Cambodian passport?

Did she thumbprint a document on, Or a few days After, the ceremony? Or was it Before the ceremony?

What documents are legally required for her to get married in the UK?
Jack mehoff
Expatriate

Post by Jack mehoff »

I only see an issue if the child holds duel citizenship and/or the father was listed on the birth certificate as the husband in England. If not, who would know? Is the father looking for the child?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Your daughter is NOT legally married in Cambodia. She would know for sure if she were, as it is a long drawn out process which requires submitting a shit load of supporting documentation to the MoFAIC and MoI plus interviews with the MoI.

Your daughters ceremony was an unofficial wedding, with no legal bearing.

You have nothing to be concerned about.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 am Your daughter is NOT legally married in Cambodia. She would know for sure if she were, as it is a long drawn out process which requires submitting a shit load of supporting documentation to the MoFAIC and MoI plus interviews with the MoI.

Your daughters ceremony was an unofficial wedding, with no legal bearing.

You have nothing to be concerned about.
Assuming she has no Cambodian passport.
bob.fortin
BANNED

Post by bob.fortin »

She was thumbprinted. They don’t do that for unoffucial ceremonies.

Bigamy is a crime and can have serious consequences. I’ve been married in four different countries but always divorced LEGALLY.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

bob.fortin wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:58 am She was thumbprinted. They don’t do that for unoffucial ceremonies.

Bigamy is a crime and can have serious consequences. I’ve been married in four different countries but always divorced LEGALLY.
You might be right.

I read the story again. She came back 8 years ago, so this ceremony must have happened more than 8 years ago, maybe 10 years. Back then there were laws about marrying a foreigner, but hardly enforced. That's something from the last 3-5 years.

On the other hand, if the girl is British and just has a British passport no one in the UK will ask any questions about it. It's not like the Cambodian embassy in London shares the wedding details of the British citizens married in Cambodia with the government.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic