You’re invited.....

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: You’re invited.....

Post by frizzie77 »

The Seawolf wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:02 pm Well hope it goes well. I am of the opinion if I am going to a concert I am going to a concert. I want the full on sweaty experience. Not to a bar which suddenly gets drowned out by live music that a lot of people aren't listening to. I also hate bars playing thumpy house music and techno so loud you cant even talk. Again, if I want to do that - and I used to go to raves most weekends from about 1988 to 1994 - I will go to some pitch black nightclub with a strobe light.

Maybe I am just an old git. I dunno.

There is a restaurant near me on a lake that serves great prawns. But they have a live band every night so I have only been once. Meal ruined. Who wants to eat with someone warbling cover version being banged out (butchered) all of 20 feet away?

Madness.
And I thought I was the only one thinking exactly the same way. I hate live (read: loud) music in a bar where I want to have some beers and conversations. And yes, when I want to hear loud music - live or not - I go to a night club. Oh well, suppose I'm indeed getting old, although I'm probably older than Seawolf, as my nightclub years were about 10 years earlier than his...

Anyway @rozzieoz: have a good one and wish you lots of success and fun in Siem Reap!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

You’re invited.....

Post by rozzieoz »

I’m putting on free beers and pizzas and making some music with my friends because I’m moving.

That’s what this post is about.

I don’t give a shit how anyone feels about music in bars. That’s not what this post is about.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I love live music, love to jam, wish I was there!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:I love live music, love to jam, wish I was there!
What do you play?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Where did people get the idea that Cambodia Country ( music) Band plays techno shit music

If it's Country Music, it's got to be good music.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Let’s have 5-10 different parties, each a different theme so that everyone can enjoy their particular musical tastes. I’d like classical music and prefer white wine or rosé. Limit to 5 Australians, 5 Americans and 2 TEFLers max. No smoking
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:02 am
What do you play?
Banjo
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:30 am I’m putting on free beers and pizzas and making some music with my friends because I’m moving.

That’s what this post is about.

I don’t give a shit how anyone feels about music in bars. That’s not what this post is about.
Sorry I didn't mean any offence. Just a personal opinion which holds no weight for anybody else at all :)

Maybe I just don't like real music (I like electronic music 87-94 and hip hop 80s/90s) enough to appreciate proper musicianship. I mean, I have seen Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones and left both concerts thinking well that was one big 'meh', would prefer to listen to the albums at home. Really boring events in gigantic stadiums.

I did go to a lot of gigs when I was in my early teens - The Damned, The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Conflict, Subhumans, Culture Shock, GBH, Coil, Alien Sex Fiend, The Cure, Sham 69, Stiff Little Fingers, The Exploited, The Levellers, The Pixies, Nirvana, Stone Roses, Public Enemy, The Beastie Boys and many more. But when Acid House kicked in going to 'gigs' and worshiping rock stars seemed curiously dated and twee. The kind of thing my parents did. Although I did see The Prodigy around the time they released Firestarter and it was awesome. Total mayhem.

But, yeah, I am probably just a miserable old git. I certainly wouldn't want to bounce about getting covered in other people's sweat (and spit) any more. And I guess I don't appreciate the technicalities of instrument playing to sit there and get anything out of it. And I do hate it when I am eating and the band cranks up.

Good luck though.

:thumb:
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:02 am
What do you play?
I play guitar but back in the day I was a front man/singer type for a blues band. I'm the doorknob sitting on the floor - it was the early nineties so i can't be held completely responsible. The photo and write-up being our first in the local music paper in Perth, X-press magazine - we thought we'd made it.
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Duncan wrote:Where did people get the idea that Cambodia Country ( music) Band plays techno shit music

If it's Country Music, it's got to be good music.
Exactly! As if I’d have shit music at my party.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic