The Children Born From Sex Tourism in SEA

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Children Born From Sex Tourism in SEA

Post by John Bingham »

cambo swa wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:05 pm What are the laws in Cambodia regarding child abandonment and financial child support? I am asking about both parents being Khmer and the father takes off or is kicked out because of his infidelity. It seems it is far too common that the man leaves and he provides absolutely no support for the children left behind. Frequently the mother ends up coming to PP to work in a bar/restaurant and the children stay with grandma in the province. And then the cycle continues. There are no legal child support requirements in Cambodia?
There are laws but there is no enforcement.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cambo swa wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:05 pm What are the laws in Cambodia regarding child abandonment and financial child support? I am asking about both parents being Khmer and the father takes off or is kicked out because of his infidelity. It seems it is far too common that the man leaves and he provides absolutely no support for the children left behind. Frequently the mother ends up coming to PP to work in a bar/restaurant and the children stay with grandma in the province. And then the cycle continues. There are no legal child support requirements in Cambodia?
LOL: Cambodia laws....child support .... nice joke

My gf father took off when she was 10 after producing 4 daughters
after 10 years came back, ( no idea why her mom took him back as he is a worthless fuck) and produces 2 more before her mom died,
now the 3 older sisters are financially taking care of the 2 younger ones.
dad gives fuck all
Ahhhh Cambodia....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
anonuser
Tourist
Australia

Post by anonuser »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:23 pm Yes, in a better world you would hope that "Matthew" read the article, and then did something for his lost daughter, but probably not. He most likely has a brand new family in the UK now and has not given a thought about his past adventures in the Philippines.

@anonuser - You could try contacting the journalist who wrote the article. Her email is there.
I have managed to contact the author on twitter, it turns out that they also run a charity.

I cant save the world, but I hope I can help make it a little less shit for a kid or two.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

While I'm not saying they don't exist, I have never really noticed any abandoned kids here. The foreigners I know here who have children seem pretty responsible. However, check this intro to a documentary about an unfortunate child of an UNTAC soldier who cleared off after the mission. I saw the full documentary at a screening with the main character in attendance and it broke my heart. As far as I know the dude is doing okay now and the director has gone on to do great stuff.

BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

John Bingham wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:44 pm While I'm not saying they don't exist, I have never really noticed any abandoned kids here. The foreigners I know here who have children seem pretty responsible. However, check this intro to a documentary about an unfortunate child of an UNTAC soldier who cleared off after the mission. I saw the full documentary at a screening with the main character in attendance and it broke my heart. As far as I know the dude is doing okay now and the director has gone on to do great stuff.

I know the kid's ex teacher..... he is the one who told me about this doc

sad
also the racism the kids have towards eachother.. I know kids will be kids but when u see it so raw.. its pretty tough.. the crazy thing is.. the kids calling him names aren't white ( obviouisly)
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Sure, kids can be very nasty. I'd recommend to anyone to try to watch the full documentary though, that trailer didn't really show much. No idea where you could see it though.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

This should be merged with the thread “ How to get a wife from Cambodia “. Utterly pathetic.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
RobertPaulson
BANNED
Congo

Post by RobertPaulson »

Laws... Cambodia....
Is that an Oxymoron?
Askey
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Askey »

If you know you are a dad you have a moral responsibility to help your child even if they dont live with you.
I,m sure any decent minded person would think that way but these guys are just shitheads who think only of themselves.
It would be justice if they were tracked down and if they wont/cant pay serve jail time.
anonuser
Tourist
Australia

Post by anonuser »

I wanted to give a positive and uplifting update to people that read this story. I am not here to be a shill, beg, nor to brag, but simply thought I would give an update. When I first read that story, of brigette, "the girl too hungry to walk to school", I am not sure how one is meant to feel, but I felt gutted. I know there are starving kids everywhere, I can usually shake off most, but the story did affect me profoundly. Perhaps because I have kids similar age, or perhaps because this is a problem partly caused by westerners, or perhaps because she reminds me strongly of my own daughter who is half aussie / asian.

after reading the article, there is nothing the reader can do. I reached out to a friend, (prior to joining this forum or finding out about the gofundme), and it took a few months but I have managed to get in touch with a relative from the family. But even on the gofundme, even if you subscribe, there is no update, so the last we know is that she is starving and cant walk to school. Well, my friend did manage to contact a relative of their family and we spoke briefly.

From what I understand, the charity is helping mainly with some basic food, i am not too sure about medicine at this stage. From my understanding (talking with various people) sometimes the charity gets ALOT of donations, then the next week might be nothing, so the charity IS doing well budgeting to make sure they can help them long term and they are helping 7 families. I think they are providing the families with what they need, not necessarily giving cash. It might feel like they are not doing much, when they are doing alot. brigette still lives in a shanty, so their lives are not magically better, but they have food and are soooo thankful.

I really have not done much, or sent much to the charity at all but for everyone that helped, Here is a message to you from brigettes relative:" Thank you for being a good people to my grandma and to my cousins may the god bless you sir"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic