Where would you go if you were denied entry?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Joshcanggu
Tourist
Australia

Where would you go if you were denied entry?

Post by Joshcanggu »

I saw another thread here about expats being denied entry back into KOW.. which makes me wonder where all my fellow SEA expats would go if for some unforeseen reason this happened to you? Thailands cracking down on visas so that's not looking good, I know alot of people steer clear of phillipines with that maniac in power.. bali is a cesspit these days.. maybe sri lanka? They just relaxed their Visa policy for 6 months tourist visas... where would you go?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Where would you go if you were denied entry?

Post by John Bingham »

If you are involved in criminal enterprises and/or can't keep your paperwork in order then the only place for you is your home country, no nation wants another's riff-raff.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Bali isn't a country, it's just one confetti on 17.000 islands.

Anyway, to be barred in KOW should sound like an alarm bell. It's looks not so bright about being welcome around, and it's not time to be picky too.

Maybe go back home, maybe try a lower level tourist friendly spot, like ...errr...Timor ? New Guinea ?

Sounds like a dead end to keep on hopping from a rock to another for limited periods of time.

Might be as good to fold back into one's own scrotum until disappear into thin air.
Last edited by Ghostwriter on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Penang (at least to start with), Malaysia. Easy visa's, great food, lower costs than Cambodia and Thailand (except for beer and possibly accommodation), more pedestrian and cyclist friendly than any other bigger Asian city I have visited.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:07 pm If you are involved in criminal enterprises and/or can't keep your paperwork in order then the only place for you is your home country, no nation wants another's riff-raff.
No reason to suggest anything criminal here. AFAIK the OP is waiting on a visa for his wife to go to Australia with him.
So, would they be better off waiting out 1-2 years in Cambodia or Sri Lanka ?
Frankly OP, health care in Cambodia sucks big time. Big concerns if you have a baby. Could it be worse in Sri Lanka ?
Joshcanggu
Tourist
Australia

Post by Joshcanggu »

This is a expats forum right
Last edited by Joshcanggu on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshcanggu
Tourist
Australia

Post by Joshcanggu »

bittermelon wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:20 pm Penang (at least to start with), Malaysia. Easy visa's, great food, lower costs than Cambodia and Thailand (except for beer and possibly accommodation), more pedestrian and cyclist friendly than any other bigger Asian city I have visited.
Except for beer and accommodation there isn't much left 😜
Joshcanggu
Tourist
Australia

Post by Joshcanggu »

Joshcanggu wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:30 pm I personally have not been barred from anywhere. I do however have the luxury of being able to get paid where ever I am. (Nothing illegal!) I was just curious to where people second choice would be!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Johor Bahru, Malaysia, Jogya, Lake Toba, Lake Maninjau, Ubud,Indonesia, Pokhara,Nepal, Kulu Valley, Kerala, India....
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Joshcanggu wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:33 pm
bittermelon wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:20 pm lower costs than Cambodia and Thailand (except for beer and possibly accommodation),
Except for beer and accommodation there isn't much left 😜
Fair point Josh, though I'm thinking more in terms of cheap g-h's, long term rentals might be different, @Kung-fu Hillbilly might have a better idea.
And I have always heard of these Chinese sly-grog spots with imported duty-free booze but have never found them-I guess because they are sly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic