Lucky Supermarket overcharging

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Lucky Supermarket overcharging

Post by Duncan »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:27 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:14 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:51 pm Lucky Premium at Exchange Square does nice roast chickens for $4.50 and also has sushi.

But, as in the name, most things do cost a premium there.
Sushi.
Ummm... 'you mean as in raw fish? In Cambodia?? from Lucky's???

You're a brave man Tim.
Haha. I said they have it. Didn't say I buy it. The roast chickens are good though.

On your recommendation, I have just bought one for dinner tonight.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

I will take a chance - I have read CEO many years - call me a lurker.

For this particular topic I maybe can help.

I have a long haired dictionary 9 years.

I give her all my money as in Cambodian history the ladies take care the money.

She has never asked me one cent - given me two children.

I don't go shopping - because I will get ripped - for sure.

Every day she put in my wallet what I can spend - for gas phone, beer and short time lady if i want.

The rest she save - she cook clean and make sure my children are ok - clothes - school books toys.

All the ladies in the markets know her.

What you want she can get. barang food whatever . she feed family four $5 a day = pork chicken curry whatever.

Make it what you want - send out the long hair dictionary and give her all - she is Minister of Finance

If you cannot understand Khmer Culture then is your fault.

Sometime I am stupid and try to hide one dollar but she always find because I cannot lie to her.

Finally, I made a mistake with business and she sold all her gold to give to me.

I paid her back

Sooooo, that is my piece - take it or leave it

By the way JB is the sane one

Best of luck to CEO
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^Quote - What you want she can get. barang food whatever . she feed family four $5 a day = pork chicken curry whatever. Make it what you want - send out the long hair dictionary and give her all - she is Minister of Finance

The point is there that the Minister of Finance can also live on that cost for one day at the moment, because it falls in the minimum wage bracket. But I would think with the workers now pushing for a rise in minimum wage it is getting more difficult. Also by your reckoning $5 per day = $150 per month, and only feeds the family one meal per day. For the minimum worker all the other costs you quote plus accommodation and possible travel too and from work, and kids to school and back, come out of that wage.

It's also not only the barang who gets ripped off when shopping, all must have to keep a keen eye on what is happening.
Like Duncan (who as been here some time) and others still being ripped off. Tonight me also once more! Price rung up in the register on the special offer, discount. But the normal price, so I tell them it's wrong, the casher sends the girl to look, she returns and says discount. Good you think until I get home and find one item missing from the list but paid for.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Actually she is Khmer so they eat many times a day - not once/ I eat three times.

Don't ask me how she does it - but she does!!!

The $150 dollar is for food, But that's my guess - I just know I am not short of money any time- the bills are paid.

I don't go LUCKY - Same food double price or more. Better show the picture what you want to your wife and she will get from the markets.

That's my only advice.

Good luck and thank you
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Lucky supermarket at Takhmau did it again today then when I got home the item was missing from my shopping bag.

It's only ten cents but it's the principal of the matter. That's a big amount if they do it to all their customers every day.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I only use the supermarkets for certain items, coffee, chocolate, biscuits, yogurt, cheese, bake beans, HP sauce, corned beef, imported banana, some breads, and washing - cleaning items. Some items differ in price at any one of the chain of supermarkets alone in Phnom Penh, just like they also did in Koh Kong, but their I was also buying for the customer via stock for the restaurant/bar. Most items would be imported goods, being unobtainable at the local markets. plus buying at the market you sometime suffer the added barang price, and sometimes not, but! I agree with the poster about sending his wife only too a certain extent due the same thing can happen of the price hike too for the Khmer, It just seems that it is the nature at times for sellers to overcharge.
I am also aware of how much some people will spend per day on living expenses, from people such in the countryside living hand to mouth by growing and capturing food, also bartering daily. Working class tends to depend on what their income or outcome would be, so many complex variations. Higher class whom would live at one of the newer housing estates around the city, with minimum house price from $1.4 million, I will let anyone here take a wild guess! But for sure they are living better then you or I.
Getting back to the subject of the supermarket, the people who I previously mention are the main customer and not the handful of passing barang. Also I understand, again the owners of these stores have a 50% tax to pay on their import goods.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus checks every item as it’s getting rung up, and the receipt at the end before she leaves the cashier. Same with the food bill at the restaurant.

I think there is an inborn Khmer trait of mistrust in general or being cheated, take your pick.

On the flip side, I got money shamed for buying VIP tickets to see Lion King. She said the clan (6 kids, 5 adults) could eat for 10 days - 3 meals a day, for what I just wasted on a movie with luxury recliner chairs, all you can eat popcorn and drinks, and a luxury pillow and blanket to boot.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Be careful when buying pineapples and melons that have already been weighed and priced.

I picked up a melon and it looked expensive for it's size, about $2.80. When I got it check weighed (this was harder to get them to do than you would imagine) it came up as $2.10.

I think people are finding a big melon and swapping the price stickers with smaller ones.

(Don't be tempted to do this, I think that's one way you can get your picture posted on the internet as a thief!)
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Lucky Supermarket refused a $5 bill because it had a tiny stain on it. I'm finding Lucky to become an increasing hassle even at their Premium outlets.

I've given Aeon Maxvalu a try a couple of times and found them to be cheaper for most things I get.

Has anybody tried Chip Mong or Prince Market?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic