La Ferme de Bassac - a review

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

La Ferme de Bassac - a review

Post by Doc67 »

I recently went in this restaurant on street 178, just west of Norodom. The food was delicious and very reasonably priced. I had a long chat with the French owner who told me all about his own pig farm north of the city and also his butchers shop on 144, next to the backpackers place (I think it is Wilkommen)

Anyway, I can't praise the beef bourguignon highly enough (somewhat modestly simply called beef in red wine) @ $6.60.
My friend has the beef cheeks in a piquant sauce at the same price. Sides were $1.5.

They also have a full deli of cooked and raw produce. It's a foodies paradise.

I am sure this place is well known to many of you but if it has not come to your attention then it is well worth a try.

Just one point of note, they open from 7.30 am to 7.30 PM, and that's it, so it's a lunchtime or early supper venue.

Here are some pics...

Bibi
Expatriate
Greece

Re: La Ferme de Bassac - a review

Post by Bibi »

The place was previously called Le Votre. It's well known in the French community. Very good traditional French food, reasonable prices, and also good take-away options : ham, cheese, quiche, pizza, paté, cooked dishes, apple tart and my favorite (for gourmets only): a delicious Foie Gras.
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

I was surprised at the price for the beef cheeks as it requires a lengthy preparation and slow cooking.

As I suspected it's not beef cheeks but beef tongue, not bad but not the same "melt in the mouth" feeling. The food in the pics certainly looks appetizing though.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:26 am
Just one point of note, they open from 7.30 am to 7.30 PM, and that's it, so it's a lunchtime or early supper venue.

Here are some pics...

Good for a breakfast/brunch after a night on the town then. :beer:
That looks delicious. @doc Great photos.
NeverNude
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by NeverNude »

The name makes me think “Ball Sack.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

:please:
NeverNude wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:28 am The name makes me think “Ball Sack.”

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

logos wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:41 pm I was surprised at the price for the beef cheeks as it requires a lengthy preparation and slow cooking.

As I suspected it's not beef cheeks but beef tongue, not bad but not the same "melt in the mouth" feeling. The food in the pics certainly looks appetizing though.
Correct. The owner was going on about different cuts of beef and mentioned beef cheeks. I am fairly sure my mate thought it was beef cheeks though. Tongue doesn't sound so appetising.

I cooked a beef bourguignon at home last week with some meat from his butchers shop. A real labour of love and lots of red wine. It was fantastic, even if I do say so myself, but I am not sure if it is worth all the effort and cost. $10 wine, $22 for 2 kilos of beef, plus having to source marjoram, bay leaves, shallots, lardons and all the veggies. It was a $40 project for about 10 decent portions and took 30 hours from start to finish.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bibi wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:21 pm The place was previously called Le Votre. It's well known in the French community. Very good traditional French food, reasonable prices, and also good take-away options : ham, cheese, quiche, pizza, paté, cooked dishes, apple tart and my favorite (for gourmets only): a delicious Foie Gras.
Foie Gras... oh yes...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I sure the French have a recipe for braised bulls bollocks in a scrotum sauce. I'll ask next time.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:19 am

I sure the French have a recipe for braised bulls bollocks in a scrotum sauce. I'll ask next time.

Sure, we call it a Doc69, which is the short name for "Doc67 sur le Nevernude". Balls on the nose, see. It's a bit like a Tournedos a la Grecque, or the Eclatade de Fion a la Bordelaise.
Beware of the sauce though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic