More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Post by John Bingham »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:42 pm I'm curious, does anyone have rainfall records? Can we compare to other wet seasons? I suspect we could and perhaps could infer that more concrete + more people, with insubstantial drainage, may create a problem?

Sent from my butthole using Tapatalk
Yeah, this site does and from a cursory look it seems like there is more rain than the average, but I don't believe that is the whole problem, the unbridled construction is. People will blame the filling in of wetlands/ swamps which is of course a factor. What I consider a much larger factor is that the drainage for these areas was put in when they were insignificant settlements, so the pipes are 12" at most, and then the huge amount of plastic bags and Styrofoam trays etc that just blocks everything up. It's a disaster, but it could have a beneficial result if it discourages more dumb development. There are all these ill-thought-out businesses opening up all over the place, many go bust within months. It's a huge waste of resources and no use to anyone.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/cam ... &year=2019
Silence, exile, and cunning.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:57 pm Never to this extent. There are reasons for that outlined above.
Glad you agree with me. Of course the out of control development is wholly Chinese.
Climate change is proven fact backed up by voluminous scientific data.
Maybe check your assumptions.
Nope, I don't really agree with you. I said the construction and backfilling has some impact. And it was locals who backfilled and blocked few of the most important natural drainages, and this happen already few years ago. Trash in canals has some impact too. But the biggest cause is the precipitation, which is 8-15 times more than average (depending on the source).
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

https://www.who.int/hac/techguidance/ems/flood_cds/en/

Feel awful for the locals, a lot of people are being massively taken advantage of. Makes you feel sad.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Worst flood in Sihanoukville history.
Locals blame development with no infrastructure provisions.
https://en.vodhotnews.com/3-dead-as-pow ... ouk-storm/
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Ten or so years ago it rained in SNV for a month straight, no serious flooding. It is the development and over stressing the infrastructure.

Blaming climate change while ignoring the on the ground facts in SNV...very Cambodian.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
AnaPol
Tourist
Afghanistan

Post by AnaPol »

Build on land that usually took the water overflow, to small sewers full of trash from building sites
what do you expect?

Its NOT just climate change
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

.Image

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

In Westlake, there is 100% man made climate change. Amount of rainfall is irrelevant. Result would be the same sooner or later. In this case, sooner, unfortunately.

On the bright side, there is a huge wooden table (or two) set up just for PRC visas. Table is placed at the front of the arrival area, and staffed with 3-5 Khmer immigration officers. Biggest stamp of PRC influence over the KOW possible.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:42 pm I'm curious, does anyone have rainfall records? Can we compare to other wet seasons?
Sihanoukville
Yearly average
3498 mm (3.5 metres !!!)

Monthly average
28 26 111 118 300 472 647 697 609 328 13 32

I have not been able to find this year's actual rainfall records, or any year-by-year records.
Anybody??
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:02 am
Barang chgout wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:42 pm I'm curious, does anyone have rainfall records? Can we compare to other wet seasons?
Sihanoukville
Yearly average
3498 mm (3.5 metres !!!)

Monthly average
28 26 111 118 300 472 647 697 609 328 13 32

I have not been able to find this year's actual rainfall records, or any year-by-year records.
Anybody??
AccuWeather has the rainfall tables day by day. Don't know how accurate they are but the data are viewable month by month. Here's direct link to the current month, with drop-down menus for preceding months.:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/kh/sihan ... view=table
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic