How to rent a property in Cambodia: a wise man's guide

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
jrjrjr
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How to rent a property in Cambodia: a wise man's guide

Post by jrjrjr »

icetiger81 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:33 am Would it be worth trying to pay for 6 months up front in order to negotiate for a cheaper deal, or do you think it would to risky to give up that much so early?
I would do this only if owner is rich enough to have many properties, to be sure that he won't ask for his property back too quickly.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

icetiger81 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:33 am Would it be worth trying to pay for 6 months up front in order to negotiate for a cheaper deal, or do you think it would to risky to give up that much so early?
Yes, but you need to be 100% certain that you're happy with the place first. Make sure you conduct your due diligence, visit the property at different times of day, and especially at night, also if possible when it's raining. Last thing you want to be stuck with is an apartment which you are unable to sleep in due to the bass all night from the local KTV and flooding/leaking.

You can also negotiate other things with a decent landlord... like a fresh paint job, additional lighting and power sockets, change of locks, hot water heater for shower, etc.
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

Awesome, thanks for the info.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

my experience...
signed and thumb inked 1 year lease in Sihanoukville in 2017....
got kicked out 5 months later when chinese bought building..
signed and thumb inked 1 year lease in Kampot in early 2018...
owner had same realtor showing my place behind my back when I was in USA for a month....
owner wanted me to move because as expats poured out if chinaville...rent rates escalated...
I hated my place in Kampot...
I came to Siem Reap and found a new place and went back to kampot and got my stuff and my 2 months deposit back and sold the owner the water heater I had purchased...
He was so happy...i left 1 month early...claimed he was getting $200 more per month for place I hated.
Now...I see both places I used to live are flooded.
I love Siem Reap...but, a big rain came finally and my ceiling above my bed leaked...the landlord was out of town..but got it repaired...and moved my 2 ton bed..
don't give a guy 6 months up front in 2019..
I just got my visa extension for the 3rd time.
renter beware is all I can say...
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

j57 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:34 am
don't give a guy 6 months up front in 2019..
Agree with this. Rents are always negotiable, but don't go handing over more than one month rent and one month deposit.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

One thing I have not seen mentioned is check the capacity of the electricity. A basic supply which is most common (in Siem Reap anyway) is 10 amps which is barely enough to supply 1 aircon unit. Upgrade to 20 amps at least is recommended and does not cost too much (payment to the electricity company but also under the counter available). I upgraded my house to 30 amps which meant the electricity company came to check if I was running a business. You need 30 amps if you have say 3 aircons. Upgrade to 30 amps is fairly expensive and not possible under the counter. The landlord might pay to upgrade to 20 amps (around $40) but definitely would not pay for 30 amps (100s of dollars).
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

samrong01 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:37 pm One thing I have not seen mentioned is check the capacity of the electricity. A basic supply which is most common (in Siem Reap anyway) is 10 amps which is barely enough to supply 1 aircon unit. Upgrade to 20 amps at least is recommended and does not cost too much (payment to the electricity company but also under the counter available). I upgraded my house to 30 amps which meant the electricity company came to check if I was running a business. You need 30 amps if you have say 3 aircons. Upgrade to 30 amps is fairly expensive and not possible under the counter. The landlord might pay to upgrade to 20 amps (around $40) but definitely would not pay for 30 amps (100s of dollars).
Many places have wiring that is suitable for lighting but are also connected to power points,..I would be cautious about having a 30 amp fuse on the system as you could easly cook the wiring
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Post by CambodiaGerman1 »

It's really easy to find and rent a appartment for different prices and times in Siem Reap. I think - the best way is when you go to an professinell Agency for Proberties. the best - It's free, you have nothing to pay for this service. You find different Homepages with Apartments, a popular site where https://www.realestate.com.kh/, but there much more. Some Apartments where not listed - I found last week a perfect new Apartment with Camera, Security, Swimmingpool and all what I needed for 280,00 $ per month. I moved after 8 month from Battambang to Siem Reap next month in my new Apartment...
So I hope my answer can help you!
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Duncan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:16 pm
samrong01 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:37 pm One thing I have not seen mentioned is check the capacity of the electricity. A basic supply which is most common (in Siem Reap anyway) is 10 amps which is barely enough to supply 1 aircon unit. Upgrade to 20 amps at least is recommended and does not cost too much (payment to the electricity company but also under the counter available). I upgraded my house to 30 amps which meant the electricity company came to check if I was running a business. You need 30 amps if you have say 3 aircons. Upgrade to 30 amps is fairly expensive and not possible under the counter. The landlord might pay to upgrade to 20 amps (around $40) but definitely would not pay for 30 amps (100s of dollars).
Many places have wiring that is suitable for lighting but are also connected to power points,..I would be cautious about having a 30 amp fuse on the system as you could easly cook the wiring
No you misunderstand. 30 amps is the maximum total loading. Fuses to individual power points are the same. The electricity company upgrades the main connection to the house. Of course always wise to check the overall wiring as well.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

I used an agent and laid out my requirements: 100+sqm, new build, elevator, location, pool and great staff if applicable. Took me a day.

Its easy to cull: Lobby not clean. Next. Pool cloudy? Next. Dirt road? Next. etc
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic