At school for 8 hours (only getting paid for 4)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
stupid-barang
Expatriate

At school for 8 hours (only getting paid for 4)

Post by stupid-barang »

I recently went for an interview with an international school. Everything was great until they tell me it's an 8.5 hour day, but there are only 4 (paid) hours.

My last school was not like this. It's nice to have a lot of free time, preferably I only want to work part-time. I am curious, is there anyone doing this type of schedule? This is crazy and I am going to pass.
Last edited by stupid-barang on Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: At school for 8 hours (only getting paid for 4)

Post by Username Taken »

What is the name of this international school?
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

If you're getting paid hourly then it's probably not an international school and that's why they are getting free labor from you. Planning time should always be paid and at least equal to classroom time.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Do they require you to be on the premises the whole time?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
bob.fortin
BANNED

Post by bob.fortin »

When I taught English in Chiang Mai it was three hours in morning and two in evening I could drink in the afternoon. I never asked for eight hours pay.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

If they're paying twice the going rate then it should be fine
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
stupid-barang
Expatriate

Post by stupid-barang »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:48 pm Do they require you to be on the premises the whole time?
I am not sure. It's 7am-3:30, even if they don't, the school is too far to go home and return.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic