Nuon Chea dead at 93

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Nuon Chea dead at 93

Post by Anchor Moy »

Cry me a river. He will be missed. From today's Khmer Times:

Pailin province – Brother Number 2 Nuon Chea’s body was laid to rest at a pagoda near the Thai-Cambodian border where friends and relatives trickled to pay homage.

Venerable Chansomai, chief monk of Kirimorokot pagoda, said when Mr Chea was alive, he chose monks at the pagoda to cremate his body.
“Until now I have never forgotten his good deed that he educated monks at the Kirimorokot pagoda,” Ven Chansomai said, adding that Mr Chea initiated the building of the pagoda.

“I do not know what he had done in the past, but after the integration, he did good things for people and monks here,” he said, referring to the integration of Khmer Rouge soldiers into the government in 1998. “For me, he was a good person and a hero. Even if there were accusations leveled against him, he only talked about patriotism and Buddhism.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50630601/f ... nuon-chea/
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

That's a pretty overpowering and upsetting documentary for me to watch. Going to have to watch the rest of it sometime later.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Duncan wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:19 pm That's a pretty overpowering and upsetting documentary for me to watch. Going to have to watch the rest of it sometime later.
Thanks. Good to know. I will also watch it later.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I had to take a break and come back to it. He still thought that he was right in his thinking.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Interesting article on BBC News front page about Pol Pots right hand man.

Post by xandreu »

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

And what next for the Khmer Rouge trials ?

Cambodia’s Khmer Rouge Trials Must Continue, Rights Groups and Survivors Say
By RFA - August 8, 2019
The death in Cambodia last week of Khmer Rouge leader Nuon Chea has left unfinished a full accounting of the crimes committed by the Khmer Rouge against Cambodians and others, survivors and rights groups say, with one group calling for further prosecutions.

Nuon Chea, the right-hand man to the Khmer Rouge’s late leader, Pol Pot, died at the age of 93 while serving a life sentence in prison, putting an end to his appeal of a conviction on charges of genocide, according to the U.N.-backed war crimes tribunal in Cambodia that found him guilty last year.

News of Nuon Chea’s death on Aug. 4 prompted survivors and relatives of victims to lament a lack of closure to the atrocities of Khmer Rouge regime, whose leadership oversaw the killing of nearly two million people during its 1975-79 reign of terror in Cambodia.

In full: https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 01038.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic