Vung Tau

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Vung Tau

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Dugongs!!, i wonder if they are still there?
If the World Heritage designation comes off you will have big bump in tourist numbers.

Côn Đảo National Park is a natural reserve area on Côn Đảo Island, in Bà Rịa-Vũng Tàu Province in coastal southeastern Vietnam.[2] The park includes a part of the island and the surrounding sea.

The national park is characterized by a diverse ecosystem. Many species of corals and especially the sea turtles, dolphins, and endangered dugongs are found here.[

In 2006, a delegation of UNESCO Vietnam representatives surveyed the area and concluded that the park is eligible to be a natural-cultural mixture World Heritage. The Vietnamese government is preparing necessary documents to submit to UNESCO soon.
A controversial paved road project had been proposed by the local government but was finally rejected by the national government following protests from environmental activists. In 2017 the work on the road finally started and is still under constriction (02/2018)
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:13 am
The Seawolf wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:04 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:42 pm Surf?
Charlie don't surf.
That's why we won.

:ROFL:
I like to finish operations early, fly down to Vung Tau for the evening glass. Been riding since you got here?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

The Seawolf wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:29 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:13 am
The Seawolf wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:04 am
Charlie don't surf.
That's why we won.

:ROFL:
I like to finish operations early, fly down to Yung Tau for the evening glass. Been riding since you got here?
just jiving Seawolf, nothing more.

I do sometimes ride, but not at all in this case.
I actually meant "us" white surfing dudes, like in the movie.
But it is ambiguous - and point taken.
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

If I say it's safe to surf this beach Captain, it's safe to surf this beach! I mean, I'm not afraid to surf this place! I'll surf this fucking place!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

The Seawolf wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:51 am If I say it's safe to surf this beach Captain, it's safe to surf this beach! I mean, I'm not afraid to surf this place! I'll surf this fucking place!
I believe The Seawolf. Thanks.

Sorry scrub my last answer - i thought you were a jumpy vet who thought i was making poor taste war jokes.
"Riding" as in riding poeple - but you probably were on topic and talking about riding surfboards.
I am the jumpy one it seems. :oops:

Not worth bringing a board to Cambodia. Best i have had is short 2 foot bodysurfing tubes, but not much power. Occasionally you see a snappy 3 foot barrel on the reefs, but not worth a major surf expedition.
I know a rivermouth sandspit where you could claim the record for Cambodia's longest ride, 1- 1.5 k's but it's mushy, white water, wind-swell stuff, hardly surfing.
I should come over to VN to have a look.
PS, Seen any dugongs?
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:05 am PS, Seen any dugongs?
Only at Belly's, the Downunder, the Billabong and Ned Kelly's.
You could be next.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Cruisemonkey wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:51 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:05 am PS, Seen any dugongs?
Only at Belly's, the Downunder, the Billabong and Ned Kelly's.
Belly laugh!!
I believe you.
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:05 am
The Seawolf wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:51 am If I say it's safe to surf this beach Captain, it's safe to surf this beach! I mean, I'm not afraid to surf this place! I'll surf this fucking place!
I believe The Seawolf. Thanks.

Sorry scrub my last answer - i thought you were a jumpy vet who thought i was making poor taste war jokes.
"Riding" as in riding poeple - but you probably were on topic and talking about riding surfboards.
I am the jumpy one it seems. :oops:

Not worth bringing a board to Cambodia. Best i have had is short 2 foot bodysurfing tubes, but not much power. Occasionally you see a snappy 3 foot barrel on the reefs, but not worth a major surf expedition.
I know a rivermouth sandspit where you could claim the record for Cambodia's longest ride, 1- 1.5 k's but it's mushy, white water, wind-swell stuff, hardly surfing.
I should come over to VN to have a look.
PS, Seen any dugongs?
What the hell do you know about surfing? You're from goddamned New Jersey!
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

One of those who gives a shit about the past posts. Me! In 1997 Bia hoi was 2000 a glass, A big bowl of bo kho was 7000 and a ST with a fine young thing was 5 bucks at the back beach. On a weekday you could fire a gun down the street at 10 PM and not hit anyone. Odds of seeing another foreigner, perhaps one a day. Water was clean except when the Saigon weekend crowd came down (sounds a lot like now). I have not been back since 2003 and I am always torn about visiting whenever I come back to VN but haven't worked up the guts to try. I suspect I would hate what it has become.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

What they do have in Vung Tau is kitesurfing.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic