New House Collapses on House-Warming Party: 1 Dead

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: New House Collapses on House-Warming Party: 1 Dead

Post by explorer »

Another thing Cambodians often do is continue the middle columns up. So they have columns in the the room at the top.

I advise people to not have internal columns, and use roof trusses. Here is an example.

Sometimes I meet Cambodians building houses, and make suggestions. This is one area where some people have listened to me. There are a few places built with roof trusses instead of columns in the room, as a result of my suggestions.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:35 pm
I advise people to not have internal columns, and use roof trusses. Here is an example.

I'm no engineer, but as far as I can understand it all depends on a number of factors, and there is nothing wrong with suitably supported internal columns other than that they might spoil the view. Those metal trusses don't look particularly strong and could easily be compromised by poor welding/ corrosion/ strong gusts.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

In Australia, only very large buildings have internal columns, like large warehouses. Most buildings have roof trusses.

You design it as appropriate. The partly completed house in the picture is designed for a wooden house on top. You would have trusses supported on top of the external posts.

More and more houses in Cambodia are now being built out of brick. You use trusses appropriately.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

explorer wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:37 am In Australia, only very large buildings have internal columns, like large warehouses. Most buildings have roof trusses.

You design it as appropriate. The partly completed house in the picture is designed for a wooden house on top. You would have trusses supported on top of the external posts.

More and more houses in Cambodia are now being built out of brick. You use trusses appropriately.
Did you really say that ? :facepalm:
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Adam Xie »

Guess this time nothing to do with CHINESE
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Adam Xie wrote:Guess this time nothing to do with CHINESE
Inferior Chinese steel may affect the quality of steel trusses. Engineering standards should be adhered to regardless of construction method!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Adam Xie »

Barang chgout wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:18 pm
Adam Xie wrote:Guess this time nothing to do with CHINESE
Inferior Chinese steel may affect the quality of steel trusses. Engineering standards should be adhered to regardless of construction method!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Ha ha ha ha ha
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic