Two boys drown saving girl

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Two boys drown saving girl

Post by explorer »

In Kampong Cham Province. A girl was having difficulty in the water. Two boys went to help her. She was saved, but the two boys drowned.

http://aromnews.com/9919
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
HILD-CEO
Tourist
Norway

Re: Two boys drown saving girl

Post by HILD-CEO »

Sad story here.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus summary:

Girl was drowning in river, 2 boys went in to save her.

Both boys drowned (and died) before reaching the girl.

Girl was saved by a passing fisherman.

Very sad.

Rest In Peace.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:09 am Missus summary:

Very sad.

Rest In Peace.
A short English lesson for Cambodians, and a short Khmer lesson for English speakers. I know many of you know this already.

Drown or drowned in English means the person died.

When 'drown' is translated into Khmer, it sounds like 'loong tduk.' If this is translated back into English, it means 'having difficulty in the water.' The person may live or die.

If drown or drowned is translated accurately, it would be 'loong tduk slup.' This means as a result of having difficulty in the water, the person died.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

It would be good if more Cambodians and other Asians learnt to swim. This would save a lot of drownings.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

sad story
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

explorer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:04 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:09 am Missus summary:

Very sad.

Rest In Peace.
A short English lesson for Cambodians, and a short Khmer lesson for English speakers. I know many of you know this already.

Drown or drowned in English means the person died.

When 'drown' is translated into Khmer, it sounds like 'loong tduk.' If this is translated back into English, it means 'having difficulty in the water.' The person may live or die.

If drown or drowned is translated accurately, it would be 'loong tduk slup.' This means as a result of having difficulty in the water, the person died.
tbh it means more than just having difficulty in the water, it means they are in the process of drowning or have drowned
(long) លង់ = to drown/drowning
Long Dtuk Slap = died drowning in water
the Slap (to die) is added at the end to create past tense/finality

Khmers have a million different ways to indicate death or the death of something lol my favourite being 'besdong dach kyol hauy' my heart has stopped breathing already, used when someone is broken hearted and feeling dead inside (cold heart)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I know 'loong tduk' is translated drown in the dictionary. In real life, 'loong tduk' is used in a lot of situations where the person does not drown. So I have explained it as 'having difficulty in the water.'

If you want to call it 'in the process of drowning' that is OK. But in many situations where it is used the person does not drown.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Many years ago I went to a pool here with some friends and a couple of Khmer ladies. Later on in the day, one of the Khmers jumped into the deep end of the pool. That's when we all found out, her included, that she couldn't swim and my friend saved her by grabbing her hair as she floundered about under the surface and hoiked her out.

She hadn't bothered to check or ask in any way if it was shallow etc and just jumped in having never had a swimming lesson in her life. Definitely one of the dumber things I've seen.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Captain Bonez wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:43 pm Many years ago I went to a pool here with some friends and a couple of Khmer ladies. Later on in the day, one of the Khmers jumped into the deep end of the pool. That's when we all found out, her included, that she couldn't swim and my friend saved her by grabbing her hair as she floundered about under the surface and hoiked her out.

She hadn't bothered to check or ask in any way if it was shallow etc and just jumped in having never had a swimming lesson in her life. Definitely one of the dumber things I've seen.
dumb indeed. maybe the had no idea that pools do not have a level bottom after seeing you guys were able to stand up..... a thought
Still here, in country...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic