By George – not art but stark reality

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

By George – not art but stark reality

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Image:Khmer Times

Peter Olszewski
2 august 2019

“I don’t do art,” says photo-journalist George Nickels, despite his photos appearing in several international exhibitions where his stark documentary-style photography has been critiqued as imbued with artistic sensibility

“I remember a 12-year-old girl who had been left to care for a nine-month-old baby for months. Her father was an abusive alcoholic who beat her and her mother, and he was rarely on the lake. Her mother could not handle the beatings so she chose to leave her baby with her 12-year-old little girl to seek work as a prostitute in Siem Reap. I feel obliged to document these situations and bring light onto an otherwise shadowed world.”

“On another occasion a formerly trafficked and enslaved fisherman told me that when he got tired, they gave him a powder to dissolve in water and drink. ‘I threw it away the first time they gave it to me and the second time, but when they saw I hadn’t taken it the third time, they beat me,’ the man said. ‘I knew if I didn’t take the powder, they’d kill me. I don’t know what it was, but when I took it, my energy came back and I didn’t need to eat any rice’.”

“Stories of murder and mock executions whilst men are enslaved on Thai fishing vessels. Stories of the broken families that are left behind with no idea of where their loved ones are or whether they will ever be reunited again, and the post-traumatic stress that affects virtually every formerly trafficked and enslaved man or woman.

Full https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50629816/b ... k-reality/