Recommended MOVIES

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Recommended MOVIES

Post by Doc67 »

IRREVERSIBLE.

A French 'noir' film, with subtitles and an extremely violent fight scene and a similarly disturbing rape scene. Not for the faint hearted but brilliantly made and with a unusual twist in that it is all portrayed from the end of the story back to the beginning. It's well worth the effort. It is available to download from Pirate Bay (is it allowed to mention this or am I going to get my first modding?)

siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Kurosawa's 1963 foray into the crime drama is little known compared to his other films, and a fantastic Hitchcockian watch, starring of course, Toshiro Mifune. It's called High and Low.

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:23 am Comedy wise I can't get past Blazing Saddles.

Oh man. The movie that's home to one of my favorite lines:

I also think life cannot be complete without a proper viewing of Caddyshack:

sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

I'm mostly interested in rock documentaries these days, such as:

Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story (seems to be avaiable in bits and pieces on youtube)

The Story of Jefferson Airplane (Told By Marty Balin, Jack Casady & Other Members)

A couple of tragic ones:

Badfinger documentary (Week In Week Out, BBC Wales 1987)

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me (2012)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Thanks to all, and carry on please.
Although many references are a tad dated for the moment (i guess the younger posters must be busy doing something else ), i will check them out, as i miss the old movies vibe (quality with simple materials), as i'm younger and don't know it all, and because i have too much time on my hands, which is the point of this thread.

But to the older geezers, please have a look into the recent references too. Although there is sooo much crapmovies nowadays, there is also pure gems from the turbulent younger generations.
I suggest a little introduction phrase along with the movie titles, so the reluctant ones can have a glimpse of what is the catch of the movie, why they should watch it, if looking for something different than mainstream.

:hattip:

"Man Bites Dog" is a good exemple. When it was showed to the Cannes festival, that was quite a slap. A bunch of journalists follow a killer in Belgium. This was the very first movie from a guy who entertained years of tv and movies in France and Belgium, the main actor Benoit Poelvoorde.
Black humour and weird, are his specialties.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Alejandro Jodorowsky attempt to make Dune
https://www.cartoonhd.to/movies/jodorow ... /?watching
Shot in France, England, Switzerland and the United States, this documentary covers director Alejandro Jodorowsky (El Topo, Holy Mountain, Santa Sangre) and his 1974 Quixotic attempt to adapt the seminal sci-fi novel Dune into a feature film.
A classic
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

So many films, so little time.

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Ah, yes. Bladerunner.

I’m a fraction concerned that we (some) are being pidgeon holed as old because of our eclectic choices.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Well freightdog, KFH warned you "So many films, so little time.. Actually there aren't that many movie theaters in Cambodia, a place where the cinamas. are classic and most of the movies 2nd-3rd rate.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Old Favorites...

Jackie Brown - Tarentino, and a film I saw in P Penh when it first came out

No Country for Old Men - Coen brothers, and one of the most brutal opening scenes of a film ever. Based on Cormac McCarthy's novel, and widely recognized as one of the greatest films of the 2000s. Western/thriller/ suspense/ edge-of-your-seat, and may give you bad dreams.

Little Miss Sunshine - A family with all sorts of normal family issues takes their daughter to compete in a beauty pageant. She's just a normal and weird little kid like the girl in the bee costume who dances to that song of the 90s, "Happy People Dancing, etc." Don't remember the name of that song. Anyway, reminds me of some of the older Australian films, like "Bliss." A good film.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - Traditional holiday humor. Oldie but goodie.

Big Fish - Spalding Gray, of "Swimming to Cambodia," supposedly committed suicide after viewing this movie (a day or so later, I understand). This movie...the truth of a father's life. Just a great film. Moving.

White Helmets - Syrian civil defense. 2015 British film. This is a documentary, but it's well done and a good view of what's happening on the ground.

I'm generally drawn to cerebral / post-apocalyptic films. Anything WWII with a good plot I'm drawn to.

TV Series Favorites
Band of Brothers - WWII
Breaking Bad
The Young Pope - period piece, evil pope, etc.
Chernobyl - highly recommend
Game of Thrones - weak final season, but still fun
Madmen - earlier seasons are better
Turn - Revolutionary period of America, a bit weak on plot, but ok
Outlanders (guilty pleasure, background noise and handsome lad)
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic