American TAYLOR HARTLEY: You left your wallet with Several Hundred Dollars in it at Park Cafe in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: American TAYLOR HARTLEY: You left your wallet with Several Hundred Dollars in it at Park Cafe in Phnom Penh

Post by Doc67 »

I found a phone on the seat of a tuk tuk. I picked it up and kept it assuming the owner would call it and I could arrange a reunion for him and it. It was a weird phone; no security to access it and virtually no apps other than one in Khmer and another in English about Khmer proverbs. I wondered who owned a phone like this...

I got a call from a Khmer with English language ability less than my own Khmer ability; it was a short conversation. So, I took the phone to my home street and got the convenience shop lady (who has fairly good English skills) to call the last number and arrange the meet up.

She was shocked when she spoke to the owner, "it's a monk!!" she said. "Oh, Ok, so get the monk to come here". About 10 mins later a little old man in his saffron robes and a staff (long walking stick) came into the street. I was wondering if I was going to get a blessing - I had already decided to decline any offer of a reward.

He took the phone, smiled broadly at me, turned round and walked away. Not even a thank you! I was so baffled by this so I googled various words about monks and thank you and eventually discovered that it was to preserve the integrity of my act of honesty. Apparently, if I understand this correctly, if he thanked me or gave something in appreciation it would of diminished my act and reduced it's purity. That was the jist of it I think.

A beer would have been nice though... :beer3:
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Re: American TAYLOR HARTLEY: You left your wallet with Several Hundred Dollars in it at Park Cafe in Phnom Penh

Post by ressl »

Nothing lost, but when I was at Orussey Market and I was looking for a fan with light and battery (for power shed) the seller told me, that I shouldn't buy from him, because he had bought them too expensive and has to sell them for a price way too high. I was stunned! Came back the next day to buy one of those LED bulbs with integrated battery from him
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:36 am I googled various words about monks and thank you and eventually discovered that it was to preserve the integrity of my act of honesty. Apparently, if I understand this correctly, if he thanked me or gave something in appreciation it would of diminished my act and reduced it's purity. That was the jist of it I think.
indeed the whole point of charity and doing good is the act itself and perhaps the result
not gratitude, recognition or reward

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic