Compulsory vehicle insurance on its way: Gov’t

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Compulsory vehicle insurance on its way: Gov’t

Post by AndyKK »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:10 am So does that mean the game of paying a negotiated cash compensation in crashes are going away?

For that matter, will insurance agents be coming out to the scene of a barang involved accident and tell the locals (and the cops) that the Khmer are getting nothing because it was the locals fault?
That there may just be the point! Lets say the local Khmer who maybe on his way home from a good knee's up, and sing song at the KTV with his mates, and twenty empty Angkor cans later that's the poor guy who pulls out of the side street and runs straight into the side of you. Now if you are lucky to survive the impact and be avoided be other road users, an unhappy group of folk have gathered to look you up and down, move from under that moto and you may be in more shit, you can't run like them at a accident scene, and you don't want too. The cops arrive, sure it's your fault "what are you doing" coming from the 24 hour supermarket and trying to ride a moto, obstructing other road users and causing an accident.
I don't know about you newkidontheblock, but I would rather pay an insurance then pay a larger fee out of my pocket. It may also pay for my injuries too.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Compulsory vehicle insurance on its way: Gov’t

Post by Duncan »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:41 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:10 am So does that mean the game of paying a negotiated cash compensation in crashes are going away?

For that matter, will insurance agents be coming out to the scene of a barang involved accident and tell the locals (and the cops) that the Khmer are getting nothing because it was the locals fault?
That there may just be the point! Lets say the local Khmer who maybe on his way home from a good knee's up, and sing song at the KTV with his mates, and twenty empty Angkor cans later that's the poor guy who pulls out of the side street and runs straight into the side of you. Now if you are lucky to survive the impact and be avoided be other road users, an unhappy group of folk have gathered to look you up and down, move from under that moto and you may be in more shit, you can't run like them at a accident scene, and you don't want too. The cops arrive, sure it's your fault "what are you doing" coming from the 24 hour supermarket and trying to ride a moto, obstructing other road users and causing an accident.
I don't know about you newkidontheblock, but I would rather pay an insurance then pay a larger fee out of my pocket. It may also pay for my injuries too.
Don't know what your worried about., have another beer or two, if you have a accident insurance will cover it.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic