Westerner Badly Injured in Kampot Hit and Run Accident

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Re: Westerner Badly Injured in Kampot Hit and Run Accident

Post by Flexxman »

Avoid this bridge when you are on a bicycle or moto. Use the old bridge instead, now solely used for that kind of traffic. Anyone who has ever driven across the new bridge must have noticed the height of the curb, it is next to impossible to swerve a little onto the footpath when a car or truck cuts you off. Safer for any pedestrians, but on a moto you will inevitably hit the curb then crash. Not too long ago and also reported on CEO there was another accident on this bridge where a Khmer moto driver got mangled between car and curb, losing his leg.

Yes this Frenchman did not wear a helmet and drove a possibly badly maintained Vietnamese Win, but I don't think these were the main contributors to this accident.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I get so frustrated with people who don’t wear helmets. We all know people who have died or been terribly injured due to not wearing helmets yet they continue to do it.

I don’t understand it.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Flexxman wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:56 pm Avoid this bridge when you are on a bicycle or moto. Use the old bridge instead, now solely used for that kind of traffic. Anyone who has ever driven across the new bridge must have noticed the height of the curb, it is next to impossible to swerve a little onto the footpath when a car or truck cuts you off. Safer for any pedestrians, but on a moto you will inevitably hit the curb then crash. Not too long ago and also reported on CEO there was another accident on this bridge where a Khmer moto driver got mangled between car and curb, losing his leg.

Yes this Frenchman did not wear a helmet and drove a possibly badly maintained Vietnamese Win, but I don't think these were the main contributors to this accident.
Now just imagine the same happening and the poor French guy wearing protective clothing and a helmet instead of just shorts and t-shirt.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

Now just imagine the same happening and the poor French guy wearing protective clothing and a helmet instead of just shorts and t-shirt.
Well I wasn't advocating not to wear a helmet if you imply that. But if you get mangled between a car an a concrete curb, it will always be bad. I always wear an integral helmet and full leathers or Kevlar reinforced jeans* but even then the physical damage would surely have been less, but still immense.

*no just a helmet on a Honda Dream, I do understand the dangers but also understand that it isn't always practical to fully suit up when you go only to the market around the corner. And for all I know, the guy could also have driven his bike like a real maniac, not unusual either.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Flexxman wrote:Avoid this bridge when you are on a bicycle or moto. Use the old bridge instead, now solely used for that kind of traffic. Anyone who has ever driven across the new bridge must have noticed the height of the curb, it is next to impossible to swerve a little onto the footpath when a car or truck cuts you off. Safer for any pedestrians, but on a moto you will inevitably hit the curb then crash. Not too long ago and also reported on CEO there was another accident on this bridge where a Khmer moto driver got mangled between car and curb, losing his leg.

That curb is there to protect pedestrians and cyclists. You don’t have to cycle on the road if you don’t want too.

It was a truck not car that hit the Moto.

But anyway. Those idiot westerners on death trap motos get what’s coming. Most don’t even have any riding experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:11 pm
explorer wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:05 pm The key is to understand the dangers of riding a motorbike in Cambodia. The roads are very dangerous.
There's only one danger in riding a motorbike in Cambodia - riding a motorbike.
Same for: Vietnam, Laos, Thailand...

When I travel, I take my own helmet with me because the little, 'Tonka Toy', tourist brain buckets they give you with a rental will do nothing more than keep the top of my bald head from getting a sunburn (or having to give a local cop tea money).
You could be next.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic