Tokyo or Seoul?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Tokyo or Seoul?

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:31 am
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:52 pm According to the 2017 Metro Vancouver Homeless Count, there was 3.486 homeless in Metro Vancouver.
One of them had a severe case of leprosy.
About 180,000 people worldwide are infected with leprosy, according to the World Health Organization, most of them in Africa and Asia. About 100 people are diagnosed with leprosy in the U.S. every year, mostly in the South, California, Hawaii, and some U.S. territories.
https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and ... -history#1

Although rare — there are an estimated two to 10 cases diagnosed in Canada each year — leprosy is still around.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/he ... e12793631/

500,000 cases of leprosy were registered in China between 1950 and 2002.[2] Most of these sufferers have been cured but approximately 6,000 active cases remain today and about 2,000 new cases are detected and registered every year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leprosy_in_China#Numbers

A total of 2,461 lepers were treated in Cambodia last year, though the true number of cases could be as high as 10,000, says the National Leprosy Control Program. https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... r-reported

So Canada with a tenth the population of the USA has between a tenth and a fiftieth the rate of leprosy that the USA has. Your post, while worthy of a headline in the National Inquirer or some other sensationalist newspaper is actually comforting, perhaps Vancouver should change their tourism slogan to "Vancouver, the chance of contracting Leprosy here is minuscule"
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:18 am I am visiting Vancouver next April and am planning to break up the flight from PP.

I was thinking of either a two day stopover in Tokyo or Seoul, mostly for the purpose of a 4-5 hour flight there which is easy, and then the flight to Vancouver being under 10 hours.

I have never been to either country so any suggestions, tips or whatever gratefully recieved.

As always, many thanks in advance...
OP- I'm presuming the number of homeless in Vancouver and those with leprosy is not going to change your mind about visiting said place? If so, let's get back on topic.... Tokyo or Seoul?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:41 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:18 am I am visiting Vancouver next April and am planning to break up the flight from PP.

I was thinking of either a two day stopover in Tokyo or Seoul, mostly for the purpose of a 4-5 hour flight there which is easy, and then the flight to Vancouver being under 10 hours.

I have never been to either country so any suggestions, tips or whatever gratefully recieved.

As always, many thanks in advance...
OP- I'm presuming the number of homeless in Vancouver and those with leprosy is not going to change your mind about visiting said place? If so, let's get back on topic.... Tokyo or Seoul?
Thank You CC. I was going to remind everyone of the title! Vancouver is just a stop off via a leprosy-free family home on my way to Mexico and Columbia.

Seoul started strongly but Tokyo is making a comeback. The jury is still out...
stevereeno
Expatriate
Japan

Post by stevereeno »

I can't speak to Seoul since I've never been, but if you decide to come to Tokyo, you should figure out where you're gonna spend your 2 days beforehand. It's a big place and your not gonna see it all in 2 days (I've been here 7 years and still haven't seen it all). There's lots of fun to be had here, but where to go depends a lot on what you're looking for.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

NHK has an app that’s a 24 hrs/day broadcast in English about all things Japanese. Available on your favorite internet device. Loaded with tourist spots, local culture, etc. Continuous live broadcast with a ton of saved features. No such app for Korea.

Would download and watch for ideas.

Definitely tips the scales in favor of Tokyo.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic