Scooter vs Tuktuk

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Scooter vs Tuktuk

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Nixon wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:36 pm So, my experience changing from tuktuk to bike is (not calculating depreciation):

Conclusion
Buy a bike, follow the rhythm in the traffic and always make sure you check everywhere before any movement.
Always remember you are in a competition,and you are an opponent to be beaten at every turn.
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

Convenience over $. Always best to have your own transport.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Nixon wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:21 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:09 pm Does anyone know what the status of electric motos is? Do they need to be registered/number plated? e.g. this one: https://www.oyika.com/
I talked to a guy about electric motorbikes and he said that they are too weak. Don’t know if it’s true but he didn’t recommend to buy electric. Stick with petrol he said.
Since last week I own one of them. They are definitely not too weak, I'm first at the green light, although most locals do an early start. No registration/numberplate needed, they have a special agreement with the ministry and are allowed to issue their own plates (!!). Go there for a free test ride, after that you will be annoyed, that you left your ATM card at home and you can not buy it immediately. The downside is top speed, which is 50km/h, but honestly: how many times you are able to go that fast in PP? (and in theory you are not allowed to go more fast than 30km/h anyway :D :lol: :ROFL: )
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
bob.fortin
BANNED

Post by bob.fortin »

Tuk tuk s are much safer in Thailand and here
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

ressl wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:37 am
Nixon wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:21 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:09 pm Does anyone know what the status of electric motos is? Do they need to be registered/number plated? e.g. this one: https://www.oyika.com/
I talked to a guy about electric motorbikes and he said that they are too weak. Don’t know if it’s true but he didn’t recommend to buy electric. Stick with petrol he said.
Since last week I own one of them. They are definitely not too weak, I'm first at the green light, although most locals do an early start. No registration/numberplate needed, they have a special agreement with the ministry and are allowed to issue their own plates (!!). Go there for a free test ride, after that you will be annoyed, that you left your ATM card at home and you can not buy it immediately. The downside is top speed, which is 50km/h, but honestly: how many times you are able to go that fast in PP? (and in theory you are not allowed to go more fast than 30km/h anyway :D :lol: :ROFL: )
Do you get a charger with the bike or do you have to swap out the battery all the time?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

No, there is no charger. They use a swap system. This has its up- and downsides. The upside are:
- the price includes a 2 year "free fuel" policy (after that time there are different options available, starting from a single swap to monthly plans)
- no charging time. When the battery is close to empty you drive to the next Circle K and simply swap
- not all people have a parking place for their scooter at home, where there is a power plug available at all (me) or even if there is one, most of the time you wouldn't be allowed to use it for charging
- For triggering the swap, the serial number of the scooter needs to be registered to your account and your account needs to be unlocked by personal identification. So when the scooter gets stolen, they can easily block the supply with energy or even deactivate the scooter at all. Simply putting in an other (your own) battery is not possible, because the engine controller communicates with an NFC device inside the battery. Ripping this NFC device off an original battery and attach it to your own does not work either, because only the charging stations can reset the batterylevel values and charge counters (yes, I had extensive talks with that guys about that). There is a location service available as well, but yet I'm not 100% sure, how this works (track the stolen bike to its "new" location).
Downsides:
- you can not refill "a bit" while staying somewhere for a while
- you depend on your Smartphone for swapping (Andriod/iPhone), but the scooter has a build in USB plug for charging ;)

Totally independent of the battery thing: They give a 3 year warranty! For me, this was the all deciding reason. There is an other seller of electric vehicles of all kind about 500m further on the road, but that one was more expensive (+200$) the scooter were way more huge and heavy while having the same power (800W) and absolutely no warranty (except for 3 weeks on the lead acid batteries - Oyika uses LiION)
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

800 watts...so it only has 1 horsepower?
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

ressl wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:59 am No, there is no charger. They use a swap system. This has its up- and downsides. The upside are:
- the price includes a 2 year "free fuel" policy (after that time there are different options available, starting from a single swap to monthly plans)
- no charging time. When the battery is close to empty you drive to the next Circle K and simply swap
- not all people have a parking place for their scooter at home, where there is a power plug available at all (me) or even if there is one, most of the time you wouldn't be allowed to use it for charging
- For triggering the swap, the serial number of the scooter needs to be registered to your account and your account needs to be unlocked by personal identification. So when the scooter gets stolen, they can easily block the supply with energy or even deactivate the scooter at all. Simply putting in an other (your own) battery is not possible, because the engine controller communicates with an NFC device inside the battery. Ripping this NFC device off an original battery and attach it to your own does not work either, because only the charging stations can reset the batterylevel values and charge counters (yes, I had extensive talks with that guys about that). There is a location service available as well, but yet I'm not 100% sure, how this works (track the stolen bike to its "new" location).
Downsides:
- you can not refill "a bit" while staying somewhere for a while
- you depend on your Smartphone for swapping (Andriod/iPhone), but the scooter has a build in USB plug for charging ;)

Totally independent of the battery thing: They give a 3 year warranty! For me, this was the all deciding reason. There is an other seller of electric vehicles of all kind about 500m further on the road, but that one was more expensive (+200$) the scooter were way more huge and heavy while having the same power (800W) and absolutely no warranty (except for 3 weeks on the lead acid batteries - Oyika uses LiION)
Can you keep a spare battery at home or are you only allowed to have the one in the bike? Thinking - longer trips out of town..
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

A10 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:57 am 800 watts...so it only has 1 horsepower?
Yeah, it sounds shit tbh. Underpowered, slow, cannot charge. . .
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

Nixon wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:07 am Can you keep a spare battery at home or are you only allowed to have the one in the bike? Thinking - longer trips out of town..
I took a 50cc (with 4 times the power as one of these things) on a 1000 km round trip to Laos and back, WOULD NOT RECOMMEND! :mrgreen:
Last edited by A10 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic