Polystyrene Foam Sheets Wanted

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Polystyrene Foam Sheets Wanted

Post by Doc67 »

Hi everyone...

I am looking for polystyrene foam sheets. They should ideally be 200mm to 300mm thick ( I think).

Either the expanded foam type (EPS) used in packaging material or extruded type which is more dense and moisture resistant.

It is for a roof insulation project that might work or might go horribly wrong.

Any suggestions welcome, even silly ones.

As always, many thanks in advance...
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Polystyrene Foam Sheets Wanted

Post by Clemen »

How about the ubiquitous used coolers? Would they work?
up to you...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Clemen wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:57 pm How about the ubiquitous used coolers? Would they work?
Hmm, anything pre-covered in a watertight plastic covers could be very useful.

***UPDATE***100 USED COOLERS WANTED***FREE TO COLLECTOR***ONLY IN WHITE***
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I bought some in the cardboard boxes shop near Olympic stadium on upper Sihanouk close to the big Canadia branch.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Barang_doa_slae wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:08 pm I bought some in the cardboard boxes shop near Olympic stadium on upper Sihanouk close to the big Canadia branch.
Yes that would be the place too look, I have not looked in Phnom Penh personally, but there was plenty in battambang at around that type of thickness you are wanting. And about a meter long by half wide, some bigger. Not that I need any just now for myself, but Doc67, if you go and buy some would you be kind to post back on size and price please? Thanking you very kindly. :beer3:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

rockwool?
it doesn't turn into toxic flaming rain in the event of a fire

monstra mihi bona!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:46 pm rockwool?
it doesn't turn into toxic flaming rain in the event of a fire
It's for a concrete flat roof above the apartment. Rockwool is ok for internal and waterproof location. This is for an external location and so would require sealing and/or boxing in. This is a pure experiment, cheap and cheerful; it will work or it wont

Current roof surface temperature high point was 56c today...

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:49 pm
Barang_doa_slae wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:08 pm I bought some in the cardboard boxes shop near Olympic stadium on upper Sihanouk close to the big Canadia branch.
Yes that would be the place too look, I have not looked in Phnom Penh personally, but there was plenty in battambang at around that type of thickness you are wanting. And about a meter long by half wide, some bigger. Not that I need any just now for myself, but Doc67, if you go and buy some would you be kind to post back on size and price please? Thanking you very kindly. :beer3:
I will report back on everything, including the success or failure of my little experiment.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

What is the temperature of the ceiling inside the apartment. ?

I think sheets of polystyrene would work, but you may have to glue or weight them down so a wind will not suck them up and blow them away.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

I thought you wanted to use them under the roof, on top of the roof means different challenges, wind, uv degradation, possibly trapping water for mosquitoes, etc.
How about painting it white? Or lots of plants?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48395221
Both recent from the Beeb
up to you...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic