Re-reading Amit Gilboa's "Off the Rails in Phnom Penh"

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Moe
Expatriate

Re: Re-reading Amit Gilboa's "Off the Rails in Phnom Penh"

Post by Moe »

Ah, maybe I'll put that off for a bit then. Too much of what I've been reading of late has been a bit heavy...
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

John Bingham wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:37 pm
Moe wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:14 pm The author of that book (and I agree that it is a good read) is Robert Mason. He's written a sequel - Chickenhawk: Back in the World - Life After Vietnam, that I have not read yet, but it looks interesting.
I read both. The sequel is depressing, he gets caught dealing marijuana and goes to jail for years.
Spoiler alert.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Gator wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 am
Moe wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:14 pm The author of that book (and I agree that it is a good read) is Robert Mason. He's written a sequel - Chickenhawk: Back in the World - Life After Vietnam, that I have not read yet, but it looks interesting.
I read both. The sequel is depressing, he gets caught dealing marijuana and goes to jail for years.
Spoiler alert.
It pretty tells you that in the final part of Chickenhawk anyway. The sequel just goes into detail.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

John Bingham wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:39 pm
Gator wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 am
Spoiler alert.
It pretty tells you that in the final part of Chickenhawk anyway. The sequel just goes into detail.
Just my lame attempt at a joke. I'll have to get the first book. Sounds interesting.
Mr. Yuck
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by Mr. Yuck »

RightLegDave wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:03 pm I was just talking with Amit about a week ago. I actually appear as a character in his book "Off the Rails" as John from Canada (not my real name or country). I was living in Koh Kong from 1996-1999 and I can tell you that Amit's story is very accurate, at least as far as my part of the story goes. We've actually been asked to do a podcast together about the book and Cambodia in general at that time - it should be out quite soon if anyone is interested.
Would be very interested in hearing that podcast as well. Any chance you could put me in touch with the author? Im writing a similar book about my time in saudi arabia and would like to bounce some questions off him.
garbagebags
Tourist
United States of America

Post by garbagebags »

Mr. Yuck wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:28 pm
RightLegDave wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:03 pm I was just talking with Amit about a week ago. I actually appear as a character in his book "Off the Rails" as John from Canada (not my real name or country). I was living in Koh Kong from 1996-1999 and I can tell you that Amit's story is very accurate, at least as far as my part of the story goes. We've actually been asked to do a podcast together about the book and Cambodia in general at that time - it should be out quite soon if anyone is interested.
Would be very interested in hearing that podcast as well. Any chance you could put me in touch with the author? Im writing a similar book about my time in saudi arabia and would like to bounce some questions off him.
Would be interested in the podcast, and also a PM if you ever finish your book.
Mr. Yuck
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by Mr. Yuck »

Hey there. Sure. Book is finished and coming out on Monsoon books. Should be available in a month or two. It’s called “Saudi Arabia Undercover”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic