Dengue Fever

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Dengue Fever

Post by samrong01 »

Currently I am absent from Cambodia until next year and so am somewhat cut off from current events in Cambodia. I have heard from my Khmer friend in Cambodia disturbing news that there is currently a massive Dengue Fever epidemic across the country. He tells me that every hospital and clinic in Siem Reap is full of Dengue Fever patients and that large numbers of children have died - especially in Mondulkiri province. His small son is seriously ill with Dengue Fever and he must seek treatment from a private clinic as Kantha Bopha hospital is overwhelmed. The private clinics are also full and his son is forced to return home at night due to pressure on space in the clinic.

Can anyone provide authentic news about this or is it unsubstantiated rumour?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Dengue Fever

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

It suggested it was under control a couple of weeks ago https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50622589/d ... MN8mUkl7GI
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

samrong01 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:21 pm Currently I am absent from Cambodia until next year and so am somewhat cut off from current events in Cambodia. I have heard from my Khmer friend in Cambodia disturbing news that there is currently a massive Dengue Fever epidemic across the country. He tells me that every hospital and clinic in Siem Reap is full of Dengue Fever patients and that large numbers of children have died - especially in Mondulkiri province. His small son is seriously ill with Dengue Fever and he must seek treatment from a private clinic as Kantha Bopha hospital is overwhelmed. The private clinics are also full and his son is forced to return home at night due to pressure on space in the clinic.

Can anyone provide authentic news about this or is it unsubstantiated rumour?
It’s true, the amount of sick people is massive
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

why would anyone go to a hospital for Dengue? Nothing they can do for you there but put you on an expensive drip.
Had it once, all you need do is wait it out and keep the liquids following in.

Its bad here in Thailand as well as all over SE asia

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/dengue-hem ... and-22804/

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/south ... 51ztd.html
According to the WHO, dengue is a leading cause of serious illness and death in south-east Asia. There is no specific treatment for the virus but early detection and medical care, including maintaining the body's fluid levels and reducing fever with paracetamol, can reduce mortality rates.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Why go to the hospital? So you can be sure it isn't Dengue hemorrhagic fever.
I personally know two people who have Dengue right now, one in Phnom Penh, one in Kampot. So, apparently "under control" doesn't mean you won't get it.
up to you...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:02 pm why would anyone go to a hospital for Dengue? Nothing they can do for you there but put you on an expensive drip.
Had it once, all you need do is wait it out and keep the liquids following in.

Its bad here in Thailand as well as all over SE asia

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/dengue-hem ... and-22804/

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/south ... 51ztd.html
According to the WHO, dengue is a leading cause of serious illness and death in south-east Asia. There is no specific treatment for the virus but early detection and medical care, including maintaining the body's fluid levels and reducing fever with paracetamol, can reduce mortality rates.
Loads of young kids with dengue, being much more vulnerable than adults.
And children are much more vulnerable for hemorrhagic fever which is fatal in over 30% (of the children, less with adults) of the cases if untreated. So if you know someone whose kid is suspected of having dengue, send them to the local health center. Might not be top notch care, but they seem to be knowing what they're doing.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Gentlemen:
Thanks for your replies.
I found the thread "Preparing for Dengue Outbreak 2019" by CEOCambodiaNews dated 11 February which has information updating the current situation dated 13 July and which seems to confirm what I had heard. The death rate of 25 per 15,000 cases looks very low since I understand that statistically the death rate is 23 per 1,000. If true this is an excellent result and would refute the claim that large numbers of children have died.
Although they claim the disease is under control, it looks like its not so easy to get treatment due to overcrowding.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

samrong01 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:45 pm Gentlemen:
Thanks for your replies.
I found the thread "Preparing for Dengue Outbreak 2019" by CEOCambodiaNews dated 11 February which has information updating the current situation dated 13 July and which seems to confirm what I had heard. The death rate of 25 per 15,000 cases looks very low since I understand that statistically the death rate is 23 per 1,000. If true this is an excellent result and would refute the claim that large numbers of children have died.
Although they claim the disease is under control, it looks like its not so easy to get treatment due to overcrowding.
Don't pay too much attention to the numbers from the government, if you compare local/regional numbers with national numbers, or you compare the numbers released over the last few weeks, you will notice loads of discrepancies. The government seems to be playing it down.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

PRichard poses a good question. Why would anyone go into hospital unnecessarily?

Kammakor, or anyone else, can you give us an idea on the level of risk of catching a multi-drug resistant infection in hospitals in Cambodia? I hear this immediate region, Thai/Cambodia/VN, is ground zero for these infections, and that hospitals are the main vectors. ??
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic