BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: BugZone: Nothing's perfect...

Post by Brody »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:59 pm
Brody wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:57 pmSame here.
In that case maybe it's by design. Let's wait and see what GM has to say.
By design?

When I log off, any recent post is right there where it should be. It's only when I'm logged in that the recent postings are all messed up.

So if it were by design, then it's only designed to effect my view of it, when I am logged in. Not sure why he would design that.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

It's by design. The "Recent topics" feature is based on your most recent unread topics. When you are logged out there is no record of what you have and have not read because this is normally tracked per user account which you haven't specified because you are logged out. When you are logged in it will confusingly display a list of the most recent thread with an unread post. If you visit the last page of the "most recent" thread and go back to the front page the 2nd option on the list will be the 1st because the previous 1st thread with the most recent unread has become read on your account and is no longer displayed in the list at all.

I agree that it is confusing but UT is right, it's by design in accordance to someone's confusing logic.

Ideally it should display the same items when you are logged in and out. They should remove the condition that limits the list to display based on read status.
Last edited by fax on Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

fax wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:25 pm It's by design. The "Recent topics" feature is based on your most recent unread topics. When you are logged out there is no record of what you have and have not read because this is normally tracked per user account which you haven't specified because you are logged out. When you are logged in it will confusingly display a list of the most recent thread with an unread post. If you visit the last page of the "most recent" thread and go back to the front page the 2nd option on the list will be the 1st because the previous 1st thread with the most recent unread has become read on your account and is no longer displayed in the list at all.

I agree that it is confusing but UT is right, it's by design in accordance to someone's confusing logic.

Ideally it should display the same items when you are logged in and out. They should remove the condition that limits the list to display based on read status.

Ahhhh, got it. Yeah, it is confusing but your explanation of it makes sense.

Thanks brocephus!

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Brody wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:49 pm Image

You're welcome. :beer3:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

By recent design, indeed.

Now that you know how it works, do you like it this way (where it only shows you unread topics, and after you've read the last post it's gone from the list) or how it was before?

The reasoning was kind of 'why keep a post that you've already read at the top of your page?'
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:49 pm By recent design, indeed.

Now that you know how it works, do you like it this way (where it only shows you unread topics, and after you've read the last post it's gone from the list) or how it was before?

The reasoning was kind of 'why keep a post that you've already read at the top of your page?'
No big deal either way for me. A quick FYI would have been cool....I thought my account was going wonky, lol.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:49 pm 'why keep a post that you've already read at the top of your page?'
Because that's where it was found and after clicking the Back button you have no idea how to find it again.

The content of a website shouldn't change by clicking a link to go to another page. It's a violation of basic web dev principles.

Think of it as a newspaper. It's weird if you turn the page, turn it back, and the contents are changed.

Here's a list of other popular websites that change the front page content when an article link is clicked:

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

fax wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:11 pm Because that's where it was found and after clicking the Back button you have no idea how to find it again.
That's a good point. Even when you just give a post a karma point or whatever it's called now, the topic moves.

So if you're not paying attention to what thread the post was in, you'd have to hunt around a bit to find it again.

NB: boy I'm loving fax today....helpful and coherent. He's rarely either and never both.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Is anybody else getting weird notifications?
I have had two notifications, and EMAILS, advising of two different "Replys" (not "Quoted by").

One of the replies was a normal "quoted" response to one of my posts.
The other referred to posts between two totally different people.

I don't think i have ever received notifications about "Replies" before - and certainly never emails.
I've sent PM and Report this Post queries to mods but they are not clearing my outbox, not yet anyway.
?????

(or maybe i just blew a fuse somewhere by over-posting today. :color )
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:48 pm Is anybody else getting weird notifications?
I have had two notifications, and EMAILS, advising of two different "Replys" (not "Quoted by").

One of the replies was a normal "quoted" response to one of my posts.
The other referred to posts between two totally different people.

I don't think i have ever received notifications about "Replies" before - and certainly never emails.
I've sent PM and Report this Post queries to mods but they are not clearing my outbox, not yet anyway.
?????

(or maybe i just blew a fuse somewhere by over-posting today. :color )
Sounds like you may have subscribed to a thread.
Go to your User Control Panel, click on the Overview tab, then check Manage Subscriptions.

You say you sent PM to mods (plural). Which mods? Twasn't me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic