Hold or Sell

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Hold or Sell

Post by Spigzy »

I don't think that's true - PSD as always will have the final answer, but I think you can submit your Singaporean marriage documents here and eventually with the right fixer you'll have the Khmer marriage certificate also. I'm guessing it could be country dependent - i.e. if the country you got married is an even worse shit-hole than Cambodia, maybe they won't respect it. Happy to be corrected, but that's how it was as I recall when I got married yonks ago.

Re: OP question, cash flow is king - rent it out, ride the bubble burst - there are busts in every country every 20 years or so, but inevitably land recovers to previously absurd levels quite quickly. If you don't need it for retirement & in no need to cash in, holding would be my advice, but ONLY if it is generating you income. An empty unmaintained property is likely to be a liability rather than an asset.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Mojo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mojo »

Thanks for all the input. My MIL, and BIL are staying there now, but he’s in the process of buying his own place, so they’ll move out at some point.
The general opinion seems to be there’s not a lot of risk to hanging onto it, so for now it’s easier to sit on it.
As to our marriage, I suspect if and when we finally end up there, if I pay enough tea money, we’ll get it recognized.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Mojo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:31 am Thanks for all the input. My MIL, and BIL are staying there now, but he’s in the process of buying his own place, so they’ll move out at some point.
The general opinion seems to be there’s not a lot of risk to hanging onto it, so for now it’s easier to sit on it.
As to our marriage, I suspect if and when we finally end up there, if I pay enough tea money, we’ll get it recognized.
I think the main risk of hanging on to it, in your case, is the property is not in your name. For you there are the risks of a break up or your wife passing Since you are not legally married in the KoW you will lose 100% in either case.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:58 am
Mojo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:31 am Thanks for all the input. My MIL, and BIL are staying there now, but he’s in the process of buying his own place, so they’ll move out at some point.
I think the main risk of hanging on to it, in your case, is the property is not in your name. For you there are the risks of a break up or your wife passing Since you are not legally married in the KoW you will lose 100% in either case.
why? if she has a will, cant she leave it to a relative and the husband can have a contract with said relative in place that it can be sold, ( if he no longer wishes to remain there) and he gets his $$ if he wishes?

As to not being married in Cambodia but having a Singaporean marriage which is valid worldwide...who cares?
Even if he was married in Cambodia, he still couldn't own the home, ( only condos above the first floor) as he is not Cambodian
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Great topic. I've been meaning to post about the upcoming bubble recently. The lady and I have been scouring for a new place. I've owned in central Phnom Penh for many years, but it's not ground floor and it's quite small, so we worry about what to do if/when she (eventually) gets pregnant. We've thus been looking at a lot of boreys, bare land, condos and everything in between. The problem for me is I hate the shophouse layout, and she hates condos. Condo prices are still really high for what they are. I've been to the BPH where you live as I know a few people who live out there. The construction is quite good, finishing nice, good roads and the place has tons of amenities now. Shops everywhere so no real need to "leave". If I were you, I'd just rent it out and hold.

My 2c as someone who has owned a few properties for over 9 years: hold if you can afford it. It seems like you're ready for retirement and this new job will just be extra cushion. If you're not cash strapped then just hold. I do think a huge bubble is coming our way. Tons of empty boreys on the outskirts (Takhmau, Russei Keo etc). People bought as investments and don't live in them. People actually live where you are though, so it doesn't feel like a ghost town. If you plan on living there when you come back, then just hold. The ones who will get burned are those who buy/bought by borrowing tons of money in order to flip expecting prices to keep doubling forever. I've witnessed the crazy prices people are now asking (still manage to see a real market price, just have to sift through all the fishermen), and for sure a bubble is coming. Question is when... However, even if a crash happens, long-term you'll be fine as prices will recover. I don't think it'll EVER be worth LESS than what your purchased it for (even if a crash comes). Is it paid off? If so, just rent it out for $350 or something and get a family member to look after it (or property managers). If it's not worth the hassle, just have family members come over once a month to flush the toilets, check plumbing etc.

My issue is that things are too expensive for us now, so we'll have to sell where we currently live and also some property in the countryside to make it happen. Countryside property skyrocketed since I bought, but I'd be slightly torn as to which lot to sell and either way, would probably have to borrow a bit from a bank (which I'm reluctant to do because of the rates). You could also sell of course. If you're already "set" till you die, then you can sell to get extra cash and then rent when you come back. Way easier to rent, as you probably know. Just have to factor in inevitable rent hikes in your retirement forecasts.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

What I would do.

Put it up for sale at a good price. If if sells, it sells. If it doesnt sell, it doesnt sell.

Dont sell it cheap.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:32 am
Kammekor wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:58 am
why? if she has a will, cant she leave it to a relative and the husband can have a contract with said relative in place that it can be sold, ( if he no longer wishes to remain there) and he gets his $$ if he wishes?

As to not being married in Cambodia but having a Singaporean marriage which is valid worldwide...who cares?
Even if he was married in Cambodia, he still couldn't own the home, ( only condos above the first floor) as he is not Cambodian
When it comes to legal issues a Singaporian marriage certificate is worth as much as a 100r note, so I would not rely on that. It might be recognized worldwide, but Cambodia isn't the normal world, and even if there would be a treaty within ASEAN they recognize each other's wedding certificates, or there would be such a treaty between Singapore and Cambodia, the Cambodian governmenr is not acting according to it at the highest levels. So good luck enforcing when shit hits the fan.

About a will, yes, it's possible to create wills, to more or less ensure she will inherit assets in Cambodia from him, and he will inherit Cambodian assets from her. But I'm pretty sure nearly no one with (relatively small) assets has such a will, because the prices are insane. Think thousands for two. And if there are children involved either from the man or the women, a will becomes less powerful because children usually have their own legal share of assets, will or not. Excluding them can be pretty difficult.

Of course one could make a contract, where the one passing away leaves the asset to a family member, whom will then compensate the partner for this. Good luck enforcing it. I wouldn't trust my family in law back home when we're talking serious money, and I wouldn't trust them here. Hell, I don't know if I would trust myself.

I am just pointing out the OP is asking himself what would be the best decision, holding or selling, and he might be running certain risks when holding on to the Cambodian property while not legally married in Cambodia.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Tend to agree with Kammekor on this one, if possible get your Singaporean marriage documents applied in Cambodia ASAP to ensure you've got a Khmer marriage certificate when/if any sh1t hits the fan. It'll save a lot of hassle worst case scenario, and should be straightforward from my understanding, but @PSD-Kiwi is the man with the knowledge ...
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Under current legislation and practice, not a chance of having a foreign marriage recognised here, unless they registered the marriage with the Cambodian Embassy in Singapore at the time of the marriage.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic