Miss Michigan stripped of title over 'offensive' social media posts

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Miss Michigan stripped of title over 'offensive' social media posts

Post by Brody »

I have only one word for this abominable news story: YUMMMMMY!

DETROIT, Mich. – A beauty queen was stripped of her title for what she claims is discrimination against her conservative political views.

Kathy Zhu, also a University of Michigan student, was dismissed as a Miss World America pageant participant a day after she was crowned when the organization claimed the content of her social media was "offensive, insensitive and inappropriate."

Zhu is a well-known conservative political commentator and online figure, amassing approximately 80,000 followers in her Instagram and Twitter accounts combined. She is a supporter of President Donald Trump.

"I have seen this happen before," Zhu said. "It is just not OK to be prejudiced against people who just have a different political view as you.”

Representatives for Miss World America did not respond to comment after multiple requests for comment.

This is insane. @MissWorldLtd Beauty Queen @PoliticalKathy stripped of her Miss Michigan title for...being a CONSERVATIVE? 😳🤔 Unbelievable. 😡😡😡 #stopthebias https://t.co/Le6vxWAsJN

— Joy Villa (@Joy_Villa) July 19, 2019

The tweets Zhu claims caused Miss World America to dissociate with her have spurred backlash on social media.

Zhu still defends the two now-deleted tweets that have generated the controversy.

The first was an incident that dates to 2018, in which Zhu went up to a Muslim Student Association booth celebrating World Hijab Day and declined to wear a hijab when prompted. She then tweeted:

"There is a 'try a hijab on' booth at my college campus.
So you're telling me that it's now just a fashion accessory and not a religious thing? Or are you just trying to get women used to being oppressed under Islam?"

"I said that it was (getting women used to) being oppressed because there are so many women in Middle Eastern countries that are being punished and stoned for refusing to wear a hijab," Zhu said. "Nobody is talking about that in the West because all they see is everyone being at peace, but that is the beauty of America."

https://news.yahoo.com/miss-michigan-st ... 40804.html
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Miss Michigan stripped of title over 'offensive' social media posts

Post by Phnom Poon »

I predict evil androids trying to pass as human will go for the asian female look first
if they haven't already

monstra mihi bona!
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:22 am I predict evil androids trying to pass as human will go for the asian female look first
if they haven't already

Terrible, isn't it? :)

Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

Phnom Poon wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:22 am I predict evil androids trying to pass as human will go for the asian female look first
if they haven't already
Probably knowing that sexpats enjoy a good probing
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic