Hobbies and free time activities in Phnom Penh (aside from eating and drinking)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ozguyinshv
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Hobbies and free time activities in Phnom Penh (aside from eating and drinking)

Post by ozguyinshv »

I used to play squash at the sofitel on the weekends. Very nice air conditioned courts. Also - prokout nearby is pretty good for kickboxing. Understand that's not everybody's thing though. Just some suggestions.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Hobbies and free time activities in Phnom Penh (aside from eating and drinking)

Post by hanno »

davegorman wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:13 pm Is HHH a regular thing in PP?
It became quite sketchy in SIhanoukville and was off and on etc now it’s totally finished.

Oh, and do they actually run or just walk?
Regular ad clockwork with a big anniversary coming up end of the year. There are trails for both runners and walkers, I believe last Saturday’s run was 14k.

And it is a drinking club with a running problem.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

hanno wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:59 am
davegorman wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:13 pm Is HHH a regular thing in PP?
It became quite sketchy in SIhanoukville and was off and on etc now it’s totally finished.

Oh, and do they actually run or just walk?
Regular ad clockwork with a big anniversary coming up end of the year. There are trails for both runners and walkers, I believe last Saturday’s run was 14k.

And it is a drinking club with a running problem.
I’ve partaken in a few in SHV. Good way to see the nooks and crannys, not that there are any left now.

To be honest the whole shouty man-on-a-soap box thing and the ritual singing is a bit wank. The nick names are quite funny though.

I was at Charlie Harper’s when shit loads of them came from all over SE Asia. It’s the same as when you get a load of people drunk in one place. The women were just as bad as the men!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

davegorman wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:06 am The women were just as bad as the men!
Worse......
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:38 pm I discovered photography 18 months ago, this new hobby engaging me more than any other I can recall. Being an avid traveler of the region for almost the last thirty five years, I'm unsure how I didn't happen upon it earlier. Regardless, I now see Asia almost anew and find myself drawn to areas or parts of villages and towns I may not have ventured into before.

Other than photography, I continue to write that screenplay, learn new songs on the guitar, and gloat enthusiastically at other people's misfortunes.
I have had a camera in my bag for going on, over 8 years. Olympus E-PM1 I treated myself to the gift once holidaying in Thailand, and used it once briefly for a few shots with the help of my young son at the time. But in the bag it stayed, being too busy to have time.
I have joined a few clubs of such here, but smartphone photography. "Easy". I took out of the bag the camera, being surprised the battery's still work, still not getting the hang of it. But I managed to buy a second hand Fujifilm FinePix s3000 the other day *easy to use" I had the s1500 model years ago.
Also I enjoy loading up the little baby moto and doing a little sightseeing for a few days. :beer3:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
dodiengdaga
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by dodiengdaga »

If you fancy social dancing, there are a quite a few dancing groups that offer lessons (Salsa, Bachata, Tango, Swing, New Style Hustle, etc), although only Salsa/Bachata offer regular weekly socials. Alternatively, you can also take up Western boxing, Khmer Boxing, Sambo wrestling, or Jujitsu, though those would definitely cost more than a few bucks.
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

Playstation 4
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Nixon wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:45 pmPlaystation 4
I play mmorpg’s on the iPad. They are cheap and time consuming. Discord for chat and bingo! Hours spent immersed in an online world. No doubt the more social here will knock it but to each his own.
Askey
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Askey »

Other than HHH where do people go for a run ?
Riverside early morning??
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Askey wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:45 pm Other than HHH where do people go for a run ?
Riverside early morning??
Early is good anywhere, traffic becomes shite after 07:00. Riverside, Diamond Island.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic