Tuktuk Driver Accused of Attempted Rape of British Woman in Kampot

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Tuktuk Driver Accused of Attempted Rape of British Woman in Kampot

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Breaking News (Kampot): On July 17, 2019, a 29-year-old British woman, **** ****, went to file a complaint of attempted rape at the Kampot police station against a tuktuk driver, on July 16, at 2 pm, along the beach, in Chum Kreal village, Teuk Chou district, Kampot.

According to the victim, a tuk-tuk driver cuddled her and touched her vagina before he tried to rape her, but she kicked him to release herself and ran away to escape. She said that she had taken the tuktuk to her house, but the suspect drove the tuktuk another way and stopped in a quiet place where he attempted to rape her.

After receiving the complaint, the police searched for the suspect, and arrested him on July 17, in the evening. The suspect, Math Isa, a 34-year-old Khmer Muslim, was taken to the police station for questioning. The suspect confessed that he gave a ride to the victim, but he denies that he tried to rape her.

However, the police are preparing the case for submitting to the provincial court.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Tuktuk Driver Accused of Attempted Rape of British Woman in Kampot

Post by fax »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:39 pm a 29-year old British woman, **** ****
*** ******* ****** *** ******* ******* :ROFL:
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:39 pm Cambodia Breaking News (Kampot): On July 17, 2019, a 29-year-old British woman, **** ****, went to file a complaint of attempted rape at the Kampot police station against a tuktuk driver, on July 16, at 2 pm, along the beach, in Chum Kreal village, Teuk Chou district, Kampot.

According to the victim, a tuk-tuk driver cuddled her and touched her vagina before he tried to rape her, but she kicked him to release herself and ran away to escape. She said that she had taken the tuktuk to her house, but the suspect drove the tuktuk another way and stopped in a quiet place where he attempted to rape her.

After receiving the complaint, the police searched for the suspect, and arrested him on July 17, in the evening. The suspect, Math Isa, a 34-year-old Khmer Muslim, was taken to the police station for questioning. The suspect confessed that he gave a ride to the victim, but he denies that he tried to rape her.

However, the police are preparing the case for submitting to the provincial court.
I am in no way denigrating the event, or the fact that she may have been accosted etc. But wait. Tuk Tuk being driven. Driver stops randomly. Gets in to the back of the tuk tuk to cuddle the victim. What the heck have I missed here? How did this situation occur?? I'm pretty sure a random stop (not where I am supposed to be going) is gonna ring some bells. [I am not saying it did/didn't happen. I'm just asking how it went from a tuk tuk ride to a cuddle? Cuddle to inappropriate touching. Warning signs anyone?? Please feel free to educate this idiot that wouldn't see inappropriate coming.]
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yerg wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:02 pm
I am in no way denigrating the event, or the fact that she may have been accosted etc. But wait. Tuk Tuk being driven. Driver stops randomly. Gets in to the back of the tuk tuk to cuddle the victim. What the heck have I missed here? How did this situation occur?? I'm pretty sure a random stop (not where I am supposed to be going) is gonna ring some bells. [I am not saying it did/didn't happen. I'm just asking how it went from a tuk tuk ride to a cuddle? Cuddle to inappropriate touching. Warning signs anyone?? Please feel free to educate this idiot that wouldn't see inappropriate coming.]
She said that she had taken the tuktuk to her house, but the suspect drove the tuktuk another way and stopped in a quiet place where he attempted to rape her.
What is so hard to understand? She likely didn't know the area as well as he did, and when they got to somewhere where he knew there weren't many households he made some BS excuse to stop, jumped in the back and assaulted here. I'm appalled at how many men on these forums are so quick to jump to the conclusion that the victim was to blame. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Agree with JB.
It's unpleasant enough for a woman to be jumped by a tuktuk driver, without people suggesting that you were asking for it.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:36 pm
Yerg wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:02 pm
She said that she had taken the tuktuk to her house, but the suspect drove the tuktuk another way and stopped in a quiet place where he attempted to rape her.
What is so hard to understand? She likely didn't know the area as well as he did, and when they got to somewhere where he knew there weren't many households he made some BS excuse to stop, jumped in the back and assaulted here. I'm appalled at how many men on these forums are so quick to jump to the conclusion that the victim was to blame. :?
Behave yourself. I'm not in any way making a BS excuse. My opening sentence should have made that clear. Perhaps there's a translation issue around 'cuddle first blah blah blah'. Educate away, as asked. In no way did I blame the victim. You twist away JB. In the short time I have been here, I've learned your MO. I asked what I missed. I have a daughter. And she's a pretty smart kid. And I think that if she was in that situation, she might think the guy stopping the tuk tuk and climbing in with her was a klaxon going off like crazy and mace the guy to death. Get off your high horse and stop being so pious. It was a fair question, framed in the perspective of the circumstances. (With no blame apportioned. Perhaps we all have to put disclaimers in everything we say, just for you.)
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the word cuddle very often appears in both FB and google translations from Khmer to English making the original intent impossible to comprehend
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:19 am the word cuddle very often appears in both FB and google translations from Khmer to English making the original intent impossible to comprehend
FLB Thank you. I perhaps missed this as a non-seasoned expat who maybe doesn't know or understand these things. My point (therefore) was built around that, and in no way meant to undermine the poor lady's experience.

For the purposes of going forwards, for fear of being labelled an apologist, that was not my intent. I apologise for what might have been a clumsy attempt at deciphering the words in the article. La Fin.

EDIT: I abhor rape/sexual assault/inappropriate touching/bullying and any other behaviour that denigrates any other human being in any way. Just so we are clear. I suppose this isn't the best forum to have that opinion it seems.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic