My Journey from English Teacher to NGO Writer in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

My Journey from English Teacher to NGO Writer in Cambodia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

By: Joshua Bottorff

"The "kingdom of wonder" lacks a certain Western appeal that many of us look for when living in another country. Now don’t get me wrong; there is plenty for a Westerner like myself to do in this country. Gyms, bars, a booming nightlife, and the endless traveling. So despite Cambodia’s economic situation, in the back of my mind there is always that selfish feeling about moving to teach abroad."

"Alright, let's get to the point here. I moved to Cambodia to teach English, but I didn't stay in the English teaching role for long. I worked as a teacher for a local NGO (non-governmental organization / non-profit) teaching English to students and to rural English teachers for a little over six months. "

"As dedicated as the Cambodian staff were, there just wasn’t enough time for them to teach six days a week and learn English on their own. That’s when I started to look at a switch."

"I made the move from teaching and instructing into project oversight, fundraising, and proposal writing. I am still living in Cambodia but now work for a different NGO, utilizing my talents to help them do very important conservation work. "

"Looking back, I know I made the right decision getting my TEFL certification. It has helped me to understand the challenges in education. I make use of teaching strategies in everyday life, whether it’s building rapport with future funding partners, or correcting errors in a gentle way on proposals I look over."

Full https://www.internationalteflacademy.co ... -to-writer
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: My Journey from English Teacher to NGO Writer in Cambodia

Post by A10 »

...and he posts pictures of him in Thailand in that article.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I too spend most of my time here masturbating in a hammock.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Dude looks like a bum.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Now he can make more money living off charity than being a teaçher
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Before he got into the whole ancient civilizations built by aliens thing, Graham Hancock wrote this book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/533 ... of_Poverty

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic