Western Expats Fleeing Thailand for Malaysia

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Western Expats Fleeing Thailand for Malaysia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

July 2, 2019

Thailand is now no longer the haven for those who want to retire in the country like before.

"Western expats who are tired of countries like Thailand where discrimination is the norm, are thrilled to be moving to Malaysia, where they can buy a house they want, do the job they want, get an easy visa and work permit and more."

" Unlike Thailand, which discriminates against western expats in the types of jobs they can do, the types of property they can buy, the bank loans they can get (or not!) in work permits, visas, and many more things, Malaysia does not discriminate."

"Healthcare in Malaysia is world-class and more affordable than in the United States. Doctors and hospitals are the same standard, or better, than American doctors and hospitals and care is world-renowned. In fact, healthcare is so good in Malaysia, it’s one of the top destinations for medical tourism."

"Malaysia’s education system is largely based on the British system and, consequently, is better than some other countries in the region such as Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. Mandatory subjects include Malay and English, so any children you have are likely to grow up fluent in both languages."

"Unlike in some other countries in the area, English is spoken by most people in Malaysia. When an expat moves to Malaysia that fact can immediately make life much easier, as there’s no need to speak the local language to get things done"

"If you are looking for a country that is developed yet not going to kill your bank account, then Malaysia is it."

Full https://www.chiangraitimes.com/western- ... aysia.html
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Western Expats Fleeing Thailand for Malaysia

Post by Phnom Poon »

I hear penang is nice

monstra mihi bona!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Thirty years ago I went through Malaysia twice and hated the place. Now for the last 8 years I have visited there twice a year and my views have definitely changed.
If I had to pick a place to live in Malaysia I would chose Butterworth or George Town area, Penang. The country has a great future going for it and maybe it's because no-one goes out on a Friday night , gets rotten drunk and goes home on Sunday night only to phone up their boss and say , sorry I 'm sick and cannot come to work on Monday,,,, like they do in Australia.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

Penang is very nice. I have been a few times and have some friends who retired there.

While Penang does have some nice colonial parts, my biggest complaint is it just doesn't seem that exciting a place to live. Maybe better if you have a family given what the article says above.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

It would be my choice in the region if I left Thailand.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Food... best in all SE Asia imo. I went to malacca 9 years ago for a few days and stayed almost a month. Myself and the wife went to KL a couple of years ago and took her father. He loved the food too!
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

the butterworth ferry station kaey teow is highly recommened & only a few ringgit
thru shit to more shit
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I went to Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur) from Vietnam (Vung Tau) on a visa run for a couple of hours (didn't leave the airport and came back on the same plane) last week. That was enough.

I've been to: KL, Port Klang, Penang, Kuantan and Kota Kinabalu.... and never had a desire, thought or consideration of moving to the country. If I was a younger, tea-totaling, nonsmoker with a family I might think differently.
You could be next.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Been to Malaysia many times, first was back in '84 on my bicycle, and since than many times by car exploring different parts of the country.
Love the country, love the people, love the food......Penang is one of my favorite cites in SE asia, KL, at the bottom.
BUT i'd not want to live there, can't exactly put my finger on it but .
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic