Nearest country to Cambodia where a non national can legally own land?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Nearest country to Cambodia where a non national can legally own land?

Post by la8rat »

Was just running some numbers through my head at work this morning, and realised in 3 years or so i could be sitting on a tidy little lump sum.

Where in se asia, if anywhere, can a not national of that country buy land.

I get that there is the condo option but its not quite the same.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Nearest country to Cambodia where a non national can legally own land?

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I seem to recall Batam, Indonesia, is classed as a special economic zone and as such allows foreign land ownership. I also vaguely remember Malaysia allows the same but you have to invest a minimum of somewhere around $150 000.

To reiterate - the above are vague recollections.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:41 pm I also vaguely remember Malaysia allows the same but you have to invest a minimum of somewhere around $150 000.
Yeah, second home program...google it. I was thinking of that..KL or Penang..coz from those hubs easy/cheap access to rest of Asia via Airasia.
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

la8rat wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:32 pm in 3 years or so i could be sitting on a tidy little lump sum.

Is that when you reckon your folks will be dead eh?

Phillippinnes.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

thanks

Malaysia was ok to revisit last year after a 25 year break, but id not want to live there or invest that kind of money in a muslim country. just my personal feeling there. plus alcohol is so expensive there. granted penang was beautiful all those years ago, doubt its the same now.

ive just heard that a family friend whos works in England all summer and spends all winter in Thailand has bought a house in a gated community there. thats all the details i know at the moment but id assume its a bit like the condo deal. you own the building but the land is community owned.

maybe not such a great buy with the way visas are going.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

The Seawolf wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:55 pm
la8rat wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:32 pm in 3 years or so i could be sitting on a tidy little lump sum.

Is that when you reckon your folks will be dead eh?

Phillippinnes.
no its when i hit 55 and can cash my pension in and sell my almost payed off house. next door just sold for £100k

whats your plan? making your fortune in tact, taste and diplomacy courses eh?
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

[quote=la8rat post_id=349076 time=1563375502 user_id=13738
maybe not such a great buy with the way visas are going.
[/quote]

Duh... Thailand wants your money, not you.
You could be next.
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

Singapore, condos. But you can't purchase a landed property (or the local HDB flats).

But it would have to be a very tidy sum.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

la8rat wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:58 pm
id not want to live there or invest that kind of money in a muslim country. just my personal feeling there. plus alcohol is so expensive there. granted penang was beautiful all those years ago, doubt its the same now.
TBH that's what turned me off despite the attraction of owning a house and land rather than just a condo unit elsewhere. Anyway, I've pretty much resigned myself to renting in asia and keep my assets back in my home country.

I was surprised how friendly the Malaysians were though. And the place is really organised and clean.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

yes they were very friendly, on my first visit i didnt even realise it was a muslim country. i hitchhiked the length of the east coast over quite a few weeks stopping off at nice looking beaches. last year they seemed just as friendly but it was an expensive few days £10 for their version of Bangkok airport city rail link, beers at uk prices. food wasn't to bad. accommodation on a par with Thailand maybe a tad more expensive.

yep i think you are right.. rent in asia invest in europe.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic