13 Cambodian Superstitions

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

13 Cambodian Superstitions

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Image: Full-Time Wanderers

By Stace Edoha

Everywhere in the world has their superstitions, myths or legends. Cambodia is no different.

"After living in Cambodia for the last year and a half as expats, we’ve made a lot of local friends and learned of some truly crazy Cambodian superstitions!"

"According to almost every Cambodian I know, hundreds of years ago the Country used to have magic Cambodians believe that they not only had magic but that they were the only ones in the world who did."

"However, when this practice is used on a Westerner such as myself and it doesn’t work, the explanation is that Cambodians have completely different biological/genetic makeups to me, so it can’t work for me! "

"They ran out of the room in horror and slowly crept back in hours later, expecting to see my lifeless body. I’m sure they are still waiting for me to drop dead at any moment."

"They believe that keeping a pair of scissors or even a small knife by a baby’s head will keep the evil spirits away. Apparently, it doesn’t matter if the child rolls over and is impaled by the sharp objects .."

"What was surprising is that the Doctor then stated that he must have recently been watching dogs mating. It seems that an overwhelming portion of the Khmer population believe that all eye trouble is caused by watching two dogs get it on!"

Full http://full-timewanderers.com/13-crazy- ... rstitions/
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 13 Cambodian Superstitions

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More on Traditional Khmer beliefs, treatments, superstitions thread here:
cambodian-culture-and-language/traditio ... t5228.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SINUS
Expatriate
Russia

Post by SINUS »

I asked the Khmers in detail about each of these superstitions.
All this is cheap crap.
except for one - the phone draws lightning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've heard many of those before. When my son was born a pair of scissors was kept under his pillow. As far as I know it's not to ward off evil spirits though, it's to cut a string that binds the child to their previous existence.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic