Sak Yant Tattoos

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Sak Yant Tattoos

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Image: binder.donedat/Flickr

By Kyle Hulme

Sak Yant tattoos have an honourable history that deserves respect and understanding. Here’s a look at their history, their rules and those who have them.

'When it comes to Sak Yant tattoos, there’s evidence of their use in the Khmer Empire (modern-day Cambodia) dating back to the 9th century, giving them a long and proud history."

"With their supposed magical powers, warriors heading into battle frequently had them, as they were said to protect them from harm — with some believing that wearing such tattoos would even prevent arrows or blades from piercing their skin. Whilst the veracity of such claims may be called into question, the Khmer Empire, with its Sak-Yant wearing warriors, went on to rule over Southeast Asia for more than 600 years — perhaps they were onto something."

"While there are strict rules to follow after receiving a Sak Yant tattoo, there’s some confusion about which rules must and must not be followed. Not only can these rules differ from tattoo to tattoo, but often from temple to temple where they’re received, too."

"For those who break the rules, it’s possible to recharge the powers in their tattoos. While this can be done at any time with a visit to an appropriate monk, there’s one day and one place that’s more popular than any other for those looking for a magical top-up:"

"While some tourists have emulated celebrities in receiving proper Sak Yant tattoos with the appropriate blessings from a monk, many instead receive them from normal tattoo parlours, where they receive the Sak Yant designs without the magic powers they’re known for."

full https://theculturetrip.com/asia/thailan ... t-tattoos/
Chester
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Re: Sak Yant Tattoos

Post by Chester »

Thaitoos. I would never get inked. Naff
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Chester wrote:Thaitoos. I would never get inked. Naff
I'm sure that's fine. I guess some people feel the the same about piercings or even fake tits. Whatever floats your boat.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Chester
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by Chester »

Thanks. I like spaffing in your mums face. But you won’t mind. Whatever floats yer boat and all that.

Thanks being so understanding

Floats boat

[Mod edit: take a day off and think about whether you want to be civil in this community]
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Unless the pigment is made from cobra venom, rare plants and some blood from a revered enemy they just don't count. Also you need to follow a code which will be spelled out during the process.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

how come i didnt get a mod edit in the offending post when i got banned for a week recently and i didnt even say spaffing :tophat: :tophat:
Chester wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:59 pm Thanks. I like spaffing in your mums face. But you won’t mind. Whatever floats yer boat and all that.

Floats boat

[Mod edit: take a day off and think about whether you want to be civil in this community]
thru shit to more shit
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Spaffing.

I learned a new word today. Thanks brethren! :thumb:
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

markd wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:21 pm how come i didnt get a mod edit in the offending post when i got banned for a week recently and i didnt even say spaffing :tophat: :tophat:

"Cry baby cry
Make your mother sigh
She's old enough to know better.
So cry baby cry."
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Chester wrote:Thanks. I like spaffing in your mums face. But you won’t mind. Whatever floats yer boat and all that.

Floats boat

Looks like I have a new playmate.
Let the games begin!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:07 pm Unless the pigment is made from cobra venom, rare plants and some blood from a revered enemy they just don't count. Also you need to follow a code which will be spelled out during the process.
I've heard of venom and plants/herbs being used in the "ink", but blood from an enemy is a new one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic