Obtaining citizenship by descent.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
eiramn
Tourist
Canada

Obtaining citizenship by descent.

Post by eiramn »

Hi everyone,

I'm a born and raised Canadian, but would love to acquire the Cambodian citizenship by descent as my parents were born in Cambodia. My mom lives in Canada meanwhile my dad lives in Cambodia. I would love to know the steps to acquire the citizenship and what I need (all the paper forms, IDs, photos, around how much it costs to go through this process, etc.) and what proofs I need to have.

On my mom's Canadian passport it says that her birth place is Phnom Penh, but I'm not sure if she still have any Cambodian ID as she left in 1986 for Canada and I think her Cambodian IDs were lost during the war.

On my birth certificate, it doesn't mention my dad's name as my parents were never legally married.

Thank you so much for your help.

Marie
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Obtaining citizenship by descent.

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Apply at the Department of Identification
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Go there with your dad.
Don't forget the water buffalo
chan chan
Tourist
Hong Kong

Post by chan chan »

Dear all,

My mother is Cambodian, who married to Hong Kong for over 40 years. She still have her old Cambodia identity paper and passport (she never return to Cambodia after she came to Hong Kong). I am her daughter and would like to get the Cambodia citizenship. Would anyone can advise the required documents, steps and procedures, which department should contact in Cambodia. Please help! Thank you.

By the way, I am new join to the forums but I am unable to make new post, anyone can teach where to make a new post. Thank you.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

chan chan wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:48 pm My mother is Cambodian, who married to Hong Kong for over 40 years. She still have her old Cambodia identity paper and passport (she never return to Cambodia after she came to Hong Kong). I am her daughter and would like to get the Cambodia citizenship. Would anyone can advise the required documents, steps and procedures, which department should contact in Cambodia. Please help! Thank you.
Welcome to the group.

You will need evidence that you are Cambodian by descent. Your Birth Certificate which should have your Mothers name & Nationality on it, along with any identification proving your mother is Cambodian ie. passport, National ID Card, Family Book, Carnet de Residence (Residence Card), etc. You should then get copies of these translated and Notarised/Certified by the Cambodian Consulate in HK (Address: Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui, Salisbury Rd, 3號, Star House, 1218室, https://goo.gl/maps/ZgxTgmEqDBQQTSZn7 ) or at the MoFAIC in Phnom Penh. List of fees here https://www.mfaic.gov.kh/service-fees MoFAIC location https://goo.gl/maps/mA3ghjLmfMytBfgb6

You then need to apply in person at the Department of Identification in PP
https://goo.gl/maps/nrAYKWeJ8nnfS2Nz9

Are you aware that you are also eligible to obtain a free visa for Cambodia as a Cambodian by descent? The Visa is called the K-type (Special) Visa, it can be applied for from a Cambodian EMbassy/Consulate in advance or on arrival, it is free and is valid for the lifetime of your passport. All you need, again, is evidence that you are Cambodian by descent.
chan chan
Tourist
Hong Kong

Post by chan chan »

Dear PSD-Kiwi,

Thank you so much for your reply. Your information is very useful. I am puzzled in one matter. My mother changed her name (so that different from the name shown on her Cambodia passport and identity paper) when she was applying her Hong Kong Identity Card. So, my birth certificate was shown her name same as her HK Identity card which is different from her Cambodia Identity card, I don't know what I can do to prove both names are the same person. Do you know how to solve? I am not sure if a Declaration by my mother can be used to solve this problem.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Does your mother have any documentation which confirms her name change? That would be ideal, if not possibly a Statutory Declaration will be sufficient. I would suggest seeking further advice from the Consulate General in HK, the MoFAIC in PP and the Dept. of Identification for clarification if possible.
chan chan
Tourist
Hong Kong

Post by chan chan »

Dear PSD-Kiwi,

Thank you so much. She is unable to show any proof for name changed (very long time ago, almost 48 years before). I will further check. Do you know if both MoFAIC in PP and the Dept. of Identification can communicate in English. Thank you once again.
chan chan
Tourist
Hong Kong

Post by chan chan »

Dear All,

May I ask if I want to get Cambodia Identity Card, is it the same as Cambodia Citizenship? Found from website the cost for applying Cambodia Citizenship is very expensive. Am I get it wrong?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

chan chan wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:19 pm May I ask if I want to get Cambodia Identity Card, is it the same as Cambodia Citizenship? Found from website the cost for applying Cambodia Citizenship is very expensive. Am I get it wrong?
You must have formalised your Cambodian Citizenship to be eligible to receive the National ID Card.

You are already a Cambodian Citizen by Birth...all you need to do is formalise it and make it officially recognised so that you can get your National ID, Passport & Family Book or Carnet de Residence if applicable. This will cost you next to nothing.

The prices you are seeing online are for Foreigners who are NOT of Cambodian Descent wanting to obtain Citizenship.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic