Malaysia's Proposal Could Change Southeast Asia’s Drugs Debate

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Malaysia's Proposal Could Change Southeast Asia’s Drugs Debate

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Image:Diplomat

By Preeti Jha
July 09, 2019

A move to decriminalize personal drug use and possession could help to shift the regional discourse on drugs.

"Scientific reason broke through the dominant political rhetoric on drugs in Southeast Asia last month. Instead of the “war on drugs” narrative favored by the region’s populists, Malaysia’s government said it was time to put “science and public health before punishment and incarceration” as it proposed decriminalizing personal drug use."

"The plan to remove criminal penalties for the possession and use of drugs in small quantities (as opposed to those involved in drug trafficking) is a bold move in a country that currently has some of the world’s most punitive drug laws."

"“For decades people who use drugs, whether recreationally or those who have developed an addiction, have been placed within the criminal justice system,” said Kamarulzaman, known for pioneering a harm reduction program among injecting drug users during Malaysia’s HIV epidemic in the 2000s. It’s a “paradigm shift,” she says, to treat rather than punish addiction."

"The announcement comes at a time experts are amplifying calls for Asia’s governments to radically rethink their approach to drugs. Data shows the so-called war on drugs has failed. A recent report from the International Drug Policy Consortium (IDPC), reviewing the last decade of drug policies in Asia, said draconian laws and the misplaced pursuit of a “drug-free world” had failed to reduce the scale of the drug market."

"...more evident in recent years than in the Philippines. Activists say that at least 27,000 people have been killed since President Rodrigo Duterte took office.."

"...neighboring Indonesia is thought to have borrowed Duterte’s language to refuel its own drug wars while rights groups have also observed subsequent emboldened anti-drugs campaigns in Cambodia."

Full https://thediplomat.com/2019/07/why-mal ... gs-debate/
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Malaysia's Proposal Could Change Southeast Asia’s Drugs Debate

I've been spending three month periods each year in recent times staying in Johor Bahru (Just over the bridge from Singapore) and I have to say what with the low cost of living, being able to move around completely unmolested by tuk tuk operators/hawkers, great infrastructure/transport/services, good heath care and on...Malaysia is fast becoming a favorite place to spend time and it's no wonder I see a few more expats each year.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Most likely the green goldrush with legal weed is informing the debate.

With high CBD hemp being legal throughout USA now, bud is sold even by Walmart with low THC that is visually the same as high quality. Marijuana. 5 lbs is $90, and it is 20 per cent CBD.

I am buying some tomorrow to make oil.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:57 am I've been spending three month periods each year in recent times staying in Johor Bahru (Just over the bridge from Singapore) and I have to say what with the low cost of living, being able to move around completely unmolested by tuk tuk operators/hawkers, great infrastructure/transport/services, good heath care and on...Malaysia is fast becoming a favorite place to spend time and it's no wonder I see a few more expats each year.
What's the bar scene like? Is there any 'fun' to be had?

I am always looking to go to new places and this is a new one to me. Any info gratefully received...
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:42 am Is there any 'fun' to be had?
"fun"?

Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:42 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:57 am I've been spending three month periods each year in recent times staying in Johor Bahru (Just over the bridge from Singapore) and I have to say what with the low cost of living, being able to move around completely unmolested by tuk tuk operators/hawkers, great infrastructure/transport/services, good heath care and on...Malaysia is fast becoming a favorite place to spend time and it's no wonder I see a few more expats each year.
What's the bar scene like? Is there any 'fun' to be had?

I am always looking to go to new places and this is a new one to me. Any info gratefully received...
Grog is pretty expensive, not much less than Australian prices, but I'm not really a guy to ask about "scenes" any more, sorry. I used to go to Mulligans, an Irish bar if in the mood for a beer, expat chat and a game of pool but haven't been down that way for a year or two. There were a few late night bars around the area but no girls as I recall. I tend to avoid people mostly these days.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:40 am Most likely the green goldrush with legal weed is informing the debate.

With high CBD hemp being legal throughout USA now, bud is sold even by Walmart with low THC that is visually the same as high quality. Marijuana. 5 lbs is $90, and it is 20 per cent CBD.

Marijuana. 5 lbs is $90
are u sure, so cheap?? Walmart?
1 kilo= 100 grms oil
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

5 lbs lots of hemp bud

not from walmart

You will see on google
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Brody wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:50 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:42 am Is there any 'fun' to be had?
"fun"?

Is this in Malaysia?

Who are these girls? Locals, tourists, professionals, English teachers...?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
NeverNude
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by NeverNude »

frank lee bent wrote:Most likely the green goldrush with legal weed is informing the debate.

They don’t sell bud at Walmart. You can’t get 5lbs. for $90 anywhere in the world, especially not the US. Maybe an ounce...but even that will cost you $100-120 in most cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic