Trouble booking Flight from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
dave.lum
Tourist
United States of America

Trouble booking Flight from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville

Post by dave.lum »

I'm arriving in Siem Reap for 3.5 days, and then I want to go to Koh Rong via Sihanoukville.
I'm seeing waaaaaay too many flight prices trying to book my flight.
Should I wait and book it in Siem Reap?
Is there a good trustworthy site to book from?

AirAsia doesn't seem to have anything.

I found flights using Google Flights:
  • Book with Kiwi.com - $33
  • Book with JC (Cambodia) International - Visit site for price
Kiwi seems ok. Tickets are priced as promised.
JC asks me again for booking info. Offers 3 different types of ticket:
  • PRIVATE FARE $20 + $26 tax = $46*
  • PRIVATE FARE $50 + $29 tax = $79*
  • promotion sale $5 + $24.50 tax = $29.50
(*include change option for $60 up to 1 hr before flight)

Both ask for additional "insurance" and support charges.
These seem to imply that the flight may be cancelled, and I may need to rebook it.
Support offers different response times. Also, there is a Printed travel voucher feature.

Any suggestions are welcome.
-thanks
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: Trouble booking Flight from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville

Post by Sidewalker »

There are plenty of good travel agents in Siem Reap, go to one and ask for the possibility's.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

A few seconds on skyscanner says Cambodia Angkor air is <50 bucks direct midweek.

Air Asia doesn't fly REP-KOS.

All airlines offer insurance in the web checkout.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

When do you arrive ?
I wouldn't book too far ahead. Wait till you get here. It's low season. My 2c.
dave.lum
Tourist
United States of America

Post by dave.lum »

@Sidewalker This may be my best option, but I wasn't sure if there are plenty of seats or how much the cost would change.

@epidemiks Thanks! SkyScanner gave me JC again for $22 via Trip.com. There were no weird questions. However, I have a confirmation from SkyScanner, but I am waiting for one from Trip.com.

I had forgotten SkyScanner. I like them, but started using AirAsia and JetRadar for this trip because the cost differential was so great.

Note: I expected the insurance offers, but the other ones from JC were just off the chart weird. 1st the price options. 2 PRIVATE FAREs seemed exactly the same except for price! Then tax was more than the ticket. There were also 3 levels of baggage insurance depending on how long the bag was missing, and $$ to print a ticket is also weird.
dave.lum
Tourist
United States of America

Post by dave.lum »

@Anchor Moy I arrive in Siem Reap 2 July from KUL. I was booking the flight for 6 July, and I plan to stay on Koh Rong. (There are too many options for lodging, but I think I've settled on Long Set Beach Resort.)

I considered booking a ferry ticket, but I think I'll just wait until I arrive. Especially with all of the flight booking adventures.

@ Everyone: You guys are great!
I wasn't expecting such quick responses.
Thanks, Everyone!
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

dave.lum wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:21 pm @Anchor Moy I arrive in Siem Reap 2 July from KUL. I was booking the flight for 6 July, and I plan to stay on Koh Rong. (There are too many options for lodging, but I think I've settled on Long Set Beach Resort.)

I considered booking a ferry ticket, but I think I'll just wait until I arrive. Especially with all of the flight booking adventures.

Thanks, Everyone!

There are plenty of boats going to that beach now and the traffic from the airport can be a nightmare sometimes.

FYI I have flown JC a couple of times. Their website is pretty terrible but the plane was fine and a good price
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

dave.lum wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:21 pm @Anchor Moy I arrive in Siem Reap 2 July from KUL. I was booking the flight for 6 July, and I plan to stay on Koh Rong. (There are too many options for lodging, but I think I've settled on Long Set Beach Resort.)

Thanks, Everyone!
You can book ferry ticket online too. No special hassle with that one. Use Bookmebus or CamboTicket and check CamboDeals for latest discounts.
dave.lum
Tourist
United States of America

Post by dave.lum »

I was going to wait on the ferry in case I had trouble getting to it from Siem Reap.
I'm actually more concerned about me waking up in time for my flight to Sihanoukville. :-) @cautious colin has a good point too.

@rogerrabbit Thanks for the suggestions. I was picking up random ferry rides via the internet. I'll consider that an official recommendation.
dave.lum
Tourist
United States of America

Post by dave.lum »

No problem getting Ferry ticket except they only accept cash. I should have booked online from my phone.
Highly recommend Long Set Resort. Good facilities. The pool was under repair, but they gave us 23% off our food and drink bill.
I prepaid, and they tried to charge me for the room again, but resolved things quickly.

Of course, they don't tell you to book your ferry trip back the day before to ensure you have a seat. Fortunately, there were seats.
I booked a taxi at the hotel on Koh Rong. This turned out to be a VERY good move. $65 private taxi. Met us at the pier. There was a delay, and a little struggle finding each other, but driver was very pleasant. He spoke very little English though. He looked a little surprised when I gave him cash on our arrival. Hopefully he didn't feel cheated. (I had a bill for the trip from the hotel with the price.)

Everyone here is so kind. Such a pleasure to be around. Even when the drivers honk, it's not an angry New York honk. It's friendly!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic