Drugs and crime

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Chester
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Drugs and crime

Post by Chester »

I might be getting the wrong impression as I am only going on information from here but it seems from news articles there is a huge problem with drugs and crime in PP.

Is this correct?

I don’t actually live in the kingdom although I have visited regularly for about 12 years. I did live in Saigon where there was loads of Heroin and Ice and a ton of street crime in District One. (The main tourist area) I also regularly saw people injecting drugs on bridges over the river.

I now live in Vientiane where there seems to be hardly any crime at all. My girlfriend even leaves her bag on the motorcycle when going into a shop which you wouldn’t dream of doing in Saigon.

I have been told a lot of people take yaba here and I have seen a woman smoking it in a doorway but I have never been offered any. It seems heroin is non existent here and there is very little crime.

So why so many drugs and so much crime in PP and HCMC but so low here?

Just curious.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Drugs and crime

Post by cptrelentless »

Chester wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:02 am I might be getting the wrong impression as I am only going on information from here but it seems from news articles there is a huge problem with drugs and crime in PP.

Is this correct?

I don’t actually live in the kingdom although I have visited regularly for about 12 years. I did live in Saigon where there was loads of Heroin and Ice and a ton of street crime in District One. (The main tourist area) I also regularly saw people injecting drugs on bridges over the river.

I now live in Vientiane where there seems to be hardly any crime at all. My girlfriend even leaves her bag on the motorcycle when going into a shop which you wouldn’t dream of doing in Saigon.

I have been told a lot of people take yaba here and I have seen a woman smoking it in a doorway but I have never been offered any. It seems heroin is non existent here and there is very little crime.

So why so many drugs and so much crime in PP and HCMC but so low here?

Just curious.
If you are living with your girlfriend in Vientiane then you are a criminal already. They are neither terrible nor great:

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/region_ran ... region=142
Chester
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by Chester »

That law about co habitation is never enforced here.

Also I have done a Baci ceremony with her and filled out marriage forms at my embassy as I am marrying here early next year.

I am just curious why the levels of drug use and crime differ so much between countries that are culturally similar.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I don't think injecting is a big deal in KOW.
Plenty of ice smoking.

Heroin seems widely available, judging by offers from tuktuks, but I don't seem to see much evidence of locals using it.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:18 am I don't think injecting is a big deal in KOW.
Plenty of ice smoking.

Heroin seems widely available, judging by offers from tuktuks, but I don't seem to see much evidence of locals using it.
My wife's village has recently seen a huge influx of dealers from Phnom Penh coming in selling needles and heroin/meth. The village is shocked because they have never seen so many shooters before, including children. I remember seeing quite a few needles floating around in the floods in PP when I was living there back in the early '10s. It's hard to say the extent of what's really going on.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Pattaya has more crime than Baghdad :lol:
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

cptrelentless wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:08 am
Chester wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:02 am

If you are living with your girlfriend in Vientiane then you are a criminal already. They are neither terrible nor great:

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/region_ran ... region=142
An interesting read, Phuket has a worse crime rate than PP. Odd Richard never mentions it.

Chester,
Canada and the USA are next door to each other and are culturally similar but have very different crime and incarceration rates.
Have you been to @Home Night Club? Drugs seemed readily available and I have grey hair, Vang Vieng was quite a party town 10 or so years ago.

Drones, big money and cheap drugs: the Laos route spewing meth into Thailand
https://www.thejakartapost.com/seasia/2 ... iland.html
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

An interesting read, Phuket has a worse crime rate than PP. Odd Richard never mentions it.
I'd love to understand more about their survey and how they get the results>
This section is based on surveys from visitors of this website. Questions for these surveys are similar to many similar scientific and government surveys.
who visits their site?? what questions?

I feel, There is much less crime here than in PP, Never hear of random bag snatches, never hear of hold ups, no beggars, No flips working con games, seldom, if ever, OD's

we do have;
Tuk tuk /taxi drivers overcharging for trips,( always get a quote before you get in the car, tuk tuk)
The odd ladyboys ripping customers off
Chinese being over charged
Occasional murders of Burmese
Time share
Farangs falling /Jumping off Balcony's
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:50 am
I'd love to understand more about their survey and how they get the results>
This section is based on surveys from visitors of this website. Questions for these surveys are similar to many similar scientific and government surveys.
who visits their site?? what questions?

I feel, There is much less crime here than in PP, Never hear of random bag snatches, never hear of hold ups, no beggars, No flips working con games, seldom, if ever, OD's

we do have;
Tuk tuk /taxi drivers overcharging for trips,( always get a quote before you get in the car, tuk tuk)
The odd ladyboys ripping customers off
Chinese being over charged
Occasional murders of Burmese
Time share
Farangs falling /Jumping off Balcony's
It may or may not be worth looking here..

https://www.farang-deaths.com/
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:33 am
Drones, big money and cheap drugs: the Laos route spewing meth into Thailand
https://www.thejakartapost.com/seasia/2 ... iland.html
"Anthony's Weiner" Good article that one.
Also that does baffle me at times, drug dealers or mules being caught at the international land borders. "Westerners I can more understand" mostly having to use the border. But neighbouring nationals! How easy not to use the official border crossings.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Chester wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 am That law about co habitation is never enforced here.
That'll be new, then. I know two people who got busted in the 2000s.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic