K visa renewal.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

K visa renewal.

Post by John Bingham »

My kid got a K visa just over 5 years ago so I know the process. However, his 5 year passport expired a few months ago and now he has a new one. We'll be flying abroad for the first time on his new passport soon. My question is whether I need to get a new exit visa or does the K visa automatically transfer to new passports? Should I go to the DoI with the two passports and docs or just get him an exit visa a few days before we leave?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: K visa renewal.

Post by Username Taken »

This has been asked previously. The K visa rolls over to the new passport, just like your EB when you get a new passport (presuming it's still valid). Have both passports when re-entering Cambodia next time.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's leaving the country without an up-to-date visa that's also an issue. I know it says gratis and is supposed to be for ever but I want to make sure it all works.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

At the bottom of the K visa it says "Permanent stay". How can that be out of date?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:23 pm At the bottom of the K visa it says "Permanent stay". How can that be out of date?
If a passport is out of date the visa can become invalid. I specifically remember this coming up as an issue a few years ago, and it was mentioned that there was suddenly a requirement to renew the K visa by going through the process of visiting the DoI again and paying the $25 again for the exit visa. I don't know how valid this information is, but at the time I heard it it made sense, in that the DoI would not just get $25 exit fee for a once off K-visa, but be able to collect that fee each time the applicant changed passports. I'd like some input from anybody who has done this recently, just to be on the safe side as I don't want to waste thousands in air-fares.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

John Bingham ...several years ago K-type Visas were issued for life, however a few years back they changed that, now the K-type Visa expires when the passport expires.

Therefore you will need to apply for an Exit Visa if you intend for your kid to exit on their new foreign passport, and obtain a new K-type Visa on Arrival when you return.

It is has been reported that you can have a new K-type Visa transferred to new passport without needing to leave the country, however more recent reports are that the DoI are not doing this and are making applicants obtain an Exit Visa and start fresh.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:23 am John Bingham ...several years ago K-type Visas were issued for life, however a few years back they changed that, now the K-type Visa expires when the passport expires.

Therefore you will need to apply for an Exit Visa if you intend for your kid to exit on their new foreign passport, and obtain a new K-type Visa on Arrival when you return.

It is has been reported that you can have a new K-type Visa transferred to new passport without needing to leave the country, however more recent reports are that the DoI are not doing this and are making applicants obtain an Exit Visa and start fresh.

That was what I thought was now the case, so thanks for the confirmation. I'll get that exit-visa. The last thing I want to do is turn up at the airport and it becomes an issue and we can't leave.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Be sure to plan accordingly because the Exit Visa is only valid for 7 days.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cheers, I knew that but how long is the processing time, last time I visited in the afternoon and it was ready for collection the next day.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

That's about right, allow 1-2 days max for processing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic