Life in Stung Treng

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
tcw57
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Life in Stung Treng

Post by tcw57 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:21 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:44 am I lived in Stung Treng on and off for over a year. Nice place.

Wild meats (boars, deer and forest chicken mainly) are available at a number of the khmer restaurants on the riverside promenade as you go toward the bridge to the Lao border.
Yes you can buy the last of a number of endangered species to eat in Stung Treng.
Up to you tcw57.
But don't get caught by the cops, wildlife alliance (or me)
:dragonchase:

“We’re nearly all out of wild animals here,” he said.
Primates and Bushmeat Seized From Stung Treng City Market
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/prim ... et-121684/

Best thing about Stung Treng is the waterways in four different directions.
Rent a boat, or hop on a commuter service, at the main landing.
' Might be a bit rough right now - call it surfing.
Thank you... I think I'll be fine with very simple fare, not a real gourmand of the exotic. If I'm feeling adventuresome, might try some of the surfing...
tcw57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tcw57 »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:06 pm For short trips, you have a lot of options not too far away:

- Laos
The region just north of Stung Treng is famous for its' Mekong Islands. Visa required though, so the trip involves some planning, not sure you can get a visa a the (land) border.

-Siem Reap
Siem reap is just 4-5 hours away by bus. Makes a nice weekend break and chance to stock on Western stuff. Going to Phnom Penh will about twice that by bus.

-Kratie
Sleepy town about 120 km from Stung Treng. Nice for a one time visit.

-Ratanakiri
Yeak Loam lake and some waterfalls. Nice weekend break, just 130 km away, road is OK.

-Mondulkiri
More waterfalls and great scenery but 250 km away. Combi trip with Ratanakiri is probably convenient.
Appreciate the suggestions. Will probably need some get away time every now and then and this looks like a good list to begin with.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Kratie good for few night nice Riverside walk in mornings and evenings plus you can take a trip to see the Mekong dolphins
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:06 pm Visa required though, so the trip involves some planning, not sure you can get a visa a the (land) border.
You can, if you're from the "easy visa" countries at least.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic