Can you recover for whiplash and other minor injuries in a vehicle accident in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Can you recover for whiplash and other minor injuries in a vehicle accident in Cambodia?

Post by Cam Nivag »

I was sitting in the back of a rickshaw tuk tuk yesterday, stopped at a stop light for a good 5-10 seconds, when BAM! we got hit from behind by an SUV. It was a bit jarring even though there was no damage to the rickshaw. Neither the driver of the tuk tuk or the SUV asked if I was OK, they just looked at the back of the tuk tuk and agreed no damage and drove off.

Should I have started writhing on the ground in pain? If you do that, how do you prevent the SUV driver from driving off? Is the proper move to get out of the tuk tuk, grab his keys, then writhe on the ground in pain?

If there's no blood or broken bones does the mob not give a shit? Would a Khmer ever try to demand compensation on the spot for a soft tissue whiplash injury?

My neck's a little sore today. If this happens in the future, I'd like justice.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Can you recover for whiplash and other injuries in a vehicle accident in Cambodia?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I got hit by two speeding freshy boys who were on a Honda dream around 15 months ago.

I was on a Suzuki Viva and they blazed into the junction too fast and hit my scoot on the left foot peg area causing it to slam onto the road and diagonally into a storm drain with my head smashing the drain.

Luckily my helmet took the brunt of what would have been some very traumatic head injuries and I left the scene pushing my broken bike, leaving two very wounded freshies there with their broken bike.

I had to wear a collar for three weeks and get a scan to make sure no broken vertebrae. I have to get some occasional physio too.

I suppose I could have laid on the ground, demanded police and all, but $100 isn't worth all that hassle.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Can you recover for whiplash and other minor injuries in a vehicle accident in Cambodia?

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:47 am I was sitting in the back of a rickshaw tuk tuk yesterday, stopped at a stop light for a good 5-10 seconds, when BAM! we got hit from behind by an SUV. It was a bit jarring even though there was no damage to the rickshaw. Neither the driver of the tuk tuk or the SUV asked if I was OK, they just looked at the back of the tuk tuk and agreed no damage and drove off.

Should I have started writhing on the ground in pain? If you do that, how do you prevent the SUV driver from driving off? Is the proper move to get out of the tuk tuk, grab his keys, then writhe on the ground in pain?

If there's no blood or broken bones does the mob not give a shit? Would a Khmer ever try to demand compensation on the spot for a soft tissue whiplash injury?

My neck's a little sore today. If this happens in the future, I'd like justice.
yes fake writhing on the ground screaming in pain with an outstretched hand saying "police, montipep, luy" over and over (police, hospital, money) loudly should get them to quickly proffer some benjamins your way
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Can you recover for whiplash and other minor injuries in a vehicle accident in Cambodia?

Post by davegorman »

Whiplash is very hard to prove or disprove hence why there are so many fake claims in the west.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Having had considerable experience with the Cambodian legal system as well as the police I would say your chances of recovering damages greater than your costs is extremely remote. I suspect writhing on the ground would make the perpetrators disappear faster.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

I was cycling with a female friend a few years back and she got knocked down by a moto at a junction near Olympic Market. The moto had fallen to the ground so I was opportunistic enough to take his keys and then attended to my friend, and totally ignored the driver.
He became more and more agitated as he knew I had them in my hand.

Once we were out of the road and off the floor I gave him the keys but he took absolutely zero responsibility for anything and offered absolutely no apology.

siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic