How long is the "allowance for marry" valid?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How long is the "allowance for marry" valid?

Post by Brody »

kerberus wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:44 pm offered to build a house on their ground for only 5000 USD.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

cptrelentless wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:50 pm ...good luck with getting 40 tables of people to turn up to some barang getting married. Are you a movie star?
You've been around a while haven't you? Have you never been to a wedding here!?
kerberus
Expatriate

Post by kerberus »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:10 am
cptrelentless wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:50 pm ...good luck with getting 40 tables of people to turn up to some barang getting married. Are you a movie star?
No i was never at a wedding in cambodia. Whats so wrong with these 40 tables?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kerberus wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:44 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:13 pm Yes! Your countrys document validity doesn't mean jackshit here...all your documents must be no older than 3 months at the time they are received by the MoI, so ideally they shouldn't be any older than 2 months when you submit them to the MoFAIC.
Okay thank you for the info, really a lot of paperwork and then additional these 3 month limit.

Update of my story for everyone who may is also interested in marry a cambodian:
We contacted now an childhood-friend of the father of my girlfriend, which works as lawyer or something like that in phnom penh. It looks like he will charge 2500 USD including all fees and "extra fees"...with a bit luck less. Seems like i get it all done for this amount with something like a guarantee that everything work out well.

Also the family of my girlfriend offered me to build a house on their ground (on the free space beneath their family house). They can do it for only 5000 USD (1 Floor).

Cause of that we decided to first do the paperwork, then build the house and celebrate the wedding later. The wedding will cost arround 8.000 USD for 400 people, i was going the cost with her through and think 12.000 USD would be better for this amount of guests. The biggest position in this list is the "catering", drinks we will offer by our own and the food will be served. You pay per table and on each table are seated 10 persons. In my 8.000 USD caluclation each table has 100 USD "budget". You set this limit before with the "catering/restaurant".
If someone offers you to arrange yur wedding papers for 2.500, and that's a friend of your girlfriend, run for the hills, and run fast. And don't look back. That's 1.500 USD more than you'd pay for anyone else to arrange it all.
kerberus
Expatriate

Post by kerberus »

Brody wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:00 pm
kerberus wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:44 pm offered to build a house on their ground for only 5000 USD.
I think this is not to much and equal to 2 years rent for a apartement. Why you see here so much danger? My girlfriend never asks me for money, has a job and when we are out together she pay her/our little things by herself (tuktuk, drink ...).

She told me everything about her past without lies, i know her working place and the working place before. Also her family is not bad, they also never ask for money - when i invite them to eat in a restaurant they choose a cheap one and i pay maybe 20 USD.

And the best thing of all: She love me with her full heart.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kerberus wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:48 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:10 am
No i was never at a wedding in cambodia. Whats so wrong with these 40 tables?
Nothing, it's an ordinary wedding.

But before making any promises I would confront the GF with the ridiculous 2.500 USD quoted for their 'help'.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kerberus wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:57 pm
I think this is not to much and equal to 2 years rent for a apartement. Why you see here so much danger? My girlfriend never asks me for money, has a job and when we are out together she pay her/our little things by herself (tuktuk, drink ...).

She told me everything about her past without lies, i know her working place and the working place before. Also her family is not bad, they also never ask for money - when i invite them to eat in a restaurant they choose a cheap one and i pay maybe 20 USD.

Back home, would you build a house on the land of your parents in law? Or would you acquire your own plot?
kerberus
Expatriate

Post by kerberus »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:57 pm
kerberus wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:44 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:13 pm Yes! Your countrys document validity doesn't mean jackshit here...all your documents must be no older than 3 months at the time they are received by the MoI, so ideally they shouldn't be any older than 2 months when you submit them to the MoFAIC.
Okay thank you for the info, really a lot of paperwork and then additional these 3 month limit.

Update of my story for everyone who may is also interested in marry a cambodian:
We contacted now an childhood-friend of the father of my girlfriend, which works as lawyer or something like that in phnom penh. It looks like he will charge 2500 USD including all fees and "extra fees"...with a bit luck less. Seems like i get it all done for this amount with something like a guarantee that everything work out well.

Also the family of my girlfriend offered me to build a house on their ground (on the free space beneath their family house). They can do it for only 5000 USD (1 Floor).

Cause of that we decided to first do the paperwork, then build the house and celebrate the wedding later. The wedding will cost arround 8.000 USD for 400 people, i was going the cost with her through and think 12.000 USD would be better for this amount of guests. The biggest position in this list is the "catering", drinks we will offer by our own and the food will be served. You pay per table and on each table are seated 10 persons. In my 8.000 USD caluclation each table has 100 USD "budget". You set this limit before with the "catering/restaurant".
If someone offers you to arrange yur wedding papers for 2.500, and that's a friend of your girlfriend, run for the hills, and run fast. And don't look back. That's 1.500 USD more than you'd pay for anyone else to arrange it all.
It's not one of her friends, its a childhood friend of her father - somehow a lawyer. Also the 2500 USD could be less than 2500. I already got a quote from another lawyer which stated 1500 USD only for the work. (I will tell you later for how much they really ask for.)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

If you have problem with your documents, or you need a 'fast service', you and your GF can do it by yourselves for about 1000 USD. Anyone quoting you 2.5k or 1.5k is someone to avoid, unless you want to burn money, in which case I could assist you for a small fee. :stir:
kerberus
Expatriate

Post by kerberus »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:00 pm
kerberus wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Back home, would you build a house on the land of your parents in law? Or would you acquire your own plot?
Cause the plot is close to the city centre and i dont want to spend 50.000-200.000 USD for the ground, i am happy to just pay a bit and get it cheap done.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic