Why so many empty mansions in Tuol Kork?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Why so many empty mansions in Tuol Kork?

Post by wolfcreek » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:30 pm

A few older (1970s Vietnam era) ones but many newer looking ones. Some have for rent/for sale signs but many just look deserted (no lights, no one coming and going, trash piled up, etc.). Have the owners fallen on hard times, or have they moved into even bigger mansions nearby? Or, as a friend suggested, have the owners moved to other countries (Canada, Australia, etc.)? Any speculation?
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Re: Why so many empty mansions in Tuol Kork?

Post by lostjeremy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:58 pm

They probably do stay 1-2 days a month. Even in my small neighborhood most owners have multiple houses just in PP and split their time amongst them so I may see them a day a month or may not for a few months.
I'd be interested to know who owns the MASSIVE villa in TK across the street from the Aeon Express. I was told it was the top Muslim cleric/leader for Cambodia but not sure how accurate that is.

wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:04 pm

Yes, that place is really over the top, lol... Looks like the Palace of Versaille or something like that.
AzalKH
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:15 pm

I've got a friend who lives with his family at a normal shop-house nearby his workplace during the week, then they spend the weekend at their villa a bit further out. I suppose it could be the case for a number of these places in TK.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic